Im back with a new idea.

General discussion about LÖVE, Lua, game development, puns, and unicorns.
calkiot
Prole

Im back with a new idea.

Post by calkiot »

Well, it has been a long time, but I'm back with permanent internetz. I have this great urge to start another project so i will. The picture attached gave me a good idea.
I've always enjoyed GTA to a certain extent, and I believe it is time for a modern rpg, or even modern MMORPG that gives you the roll of a citizen in a modernish city, to do whatever you like.
I do not wish to limit the tasks to pure illegal actions, but also legal. The player should be able to get a job, buy a house, car, toys, pets, and be a good citizen. On the other hand, the play should be able to do what he or she likes as well. If you want a car, and have the skill, hotwire it. If you want to take over a building, do so, but watch out because the police are going to try and take it over.
On and on I could ramble about ideas, but they are just ideas. This is just a heads up on a project that I will be starting ASAP. I am currently working on the GDD and i will keep the forum updated. One thing I will say is that without the multiplayer experience, the game would not be as fun. I have a base SP engine, but the MP side of things are being worked on as well.
I do not think that a very simple demo is out of reach, and it will not take long to provide one to you all. But until I can get one, I do not wish for anyones help. This is a growing experience for me, and I need to start off the project strong, and show you all that I am committed to the idea.
One way that you all could help with is sprites and images. I am a lousy artist, so the demo will have mostly solid color ugly sprites. If anyone can find a spritesheet please send it too me. Graphics arn't my main concern, but it will probably grab some peoples interest in testing at the very least.
Thank you all!
Attachments
exampleGTA.jpg
exampleGTA.jpg (62.46 KiB) Viewed 4800 times
Lafolie
Inner party member

Re: Im back with a new idea.

Post by Lafolie »

Stick with the offline play.

Do you recognise when the world won't stop for you? Or when the days don't care what you've got to do? When the weight's too tough to lift up, what do you? Don't let them choose for you, that's on you.
calkiot
Prole

Post by calkiot »

I will take that with no problem. This is not a place for arguments anyhow. But please save the noob bashing, for noobs. Thank you. I would like only replies of interest.
Lafolie
Inner party member

Post by Lafolie »

If I wasn't interested in the idea to begin with, I wouldn't have posted some genuine advice that would help you with said project. :)
Do you recognise when the world won't stop for you? Or when the days don't care what you've got to do? When the weight's too tough to lift up, what do you? Don't let them choose for you, that's on you.
calkiot
Prole

Post by calkiot »

Well in that case I thank you. :D
The only thing I hate about getting back into a community is that no one knows you or your work.
Oh and if I didn't clarify in the original post, I do not wish to create some mega huge awesome game in a month and be rich and famous, and get tons of b*tches........ :P .......... I only wish to start another project with love. My old one was abandoned by the developers when I lost internet. Time to move on I guess.
Lafolie
Inner party member

Post by Lafolie »

Well then, get on with it and show us something cool :D
calkiot
Prole

Post by calkiot »

Lafolie wrote:Well then, get on with it and show us something cool :D
Soon my friend, soon.
calkiot
Prole

Post by calkiot »

I'm moving the thread to "Crime City" under General.
ivan
Party member

Post by ivan »

I gotta say upfront, posting your plans about starting a big new project is generally not a good idea.
One of the reason it's bad is because when you tell people what you're going to do, you're giving up the creative/improvisational part of making the project.
You'll get a lot more positive feedback if you first make something and surprise us by showing a small playable prototype.
I do not wish to create some mega huge awesome game
An open world game is already a pretty massive undertaking in my opinion.
Making an MMO is even harder and I don't see how it could happen unless you're working with a few other people so you can test the game locally.