Pause in looping sounds

Questions about the LÖVE API, installing LÖVE and other support related questions go here.
Forum rules
Before you make a thread asking for help, read this.
Spyder638
Prole

Pause in looping sounds

Post by Spyder638 »

Hello.

I'm currently having a problem where looping sounds will have a 1 or so second pause in between the loop finishing and it beginning again. My project uses looping sounds a lot, so I really need to solve this problem.

Here's the bare-bones code I've been using in attempt to find what I'm doing wrong, in which the problem persists:

Code: Select all

music = love.audio.newSource("infbeat.wav")
music:setLooping(true)
music:play()

function love.load()
end

function love.update()
end
I've made sure there is no pause in the actual sound file, and I've also tried using TESound, but the problem persists with it too.

And here's the .love file along with the sound: http://puu.sh/XrO2 (If someone could confirm this problem isn't my PC, that'd be great)

This is a huge set back on what I'm trying to achieve, so I'd love any help at all, thanks!
Boolsheet
Inner party member

Re: Pause in looping sounds

Post by Boolsheet »

Yeah, the WAVE decoder has issues. It's recommended that you use Ogg Vorbis.
Shallow indentations.
Lafolie
Inner party member

Post by Lafolie »

You should be able to use Audacity to convert your files if you don't already have the means by which to do so.
Do you recognise when the world won't stop for you? Or when the days don't care what you've got to do? When the weight's too tough to lift up, what do you? Don't let them choose for you, that's on you.
Spyder638
Prole

Post by Spyder638 »

I tested it and that seemed to be the issue.

Such as shame because the project I'm working on will have people needing to import sounds, so now they're gonna have to convert the sounds to .ogg first.

Thank you though! :P Saved me from going crazy trying to figure out what I was doing wrong.
retrotails
Party member

Post by retrotails »

I think the entire sound engine is kinda bad. No FLAC support, crappy looping, the only format that really works (not to say it's perfect) is the lossy OGG Vorbis, and it also freezes your game for a good 30 seconds if you play/stop sounds too often.
dreadkillz
Party member

Post by dreadkillz »

Would be nice if the sound system was more robust and work well with any sound format besides ogg vorbis.
Boolsheet
Inner party member

Post by Boolsheet »

mp3 works too and like you found out, people just need to use a proper encoder. ;)
Shallow indentations.
Lafolie
Inner party member

Post by Lafolie »

Complain all you want about the audio engine, Löve's major version number is 0. It will work one day; until the time comes soak up the lovely OGG waves.
Do you recognise when the world won't stop for you? Or when the days don't care what you've got to do? When the weight's too tough to lift up, what do you? Don't let them choose for you, that's on you.