My First Game, Snake

Show off your games, demos and other (playable) creations.
josefnpat
Inner party member

Re: My First Game, Snake

Post by josefnpat »

Simple, quick, clean and responsive. Very good job!

Have you considered creating/finding new assets for the font, bloom shader and background, so that this game is different, yet entirely yours?

I'm surprised that slime hasn't weighed in yet, this is extraordinarily similar to his original version of snayke, from what I recall. (visually, not conceptually. Who can really "claim" snake nowadays anyway?)
Missing Sentinel Software | Twitter

FORCIBLY IGNORED.
<leafo> when in doubt delete all of your code
<bartbes> git rm -r *
<bartbes> git commit -m "Fixed all bugs"
<bartbes> git push
awhite92
Prole

Post by awhite92 »

josefnpat wrote:Have you considered creating/finding new assets for the font, bloom shader and background, so that this game is different, yet entirely yours?
well, the whole reason i started this project was to try and make it look like his. since i had no previous lua+love programming exp (been programming in c# for a few years) i wanted a nice simple project to start off with (so i can get use to the API), that still had a lot going on. and this was a good starting point, its snake! really simple, but then the colorful twist makes it that much better.

that aside, i mite go on and "re-design" it, but i dont know where to go with it lol, got any suggestions? it mite be a while tho before i do anything, because im starting a new project. its an RPG game, which is what i have been really wanting to do.

btw im very picky about graphics, things have to be perfect/pretty to say least :neko:
josefnpat wrote:I'm surprised that slime hasn't weighed in yet, this is extraordinarily similar to his original version of snayke, from what I recall. (visually, not conceptually. Who can really "claim" snake nowadays anyway?)
i am too actually, id like to hear his opinion about my game that was impeccably and singly inspired by his work
Roland_Yonaba wrote:I do love the graphics. Sweet, smooth, nice looking.
For a first attempt at making a game, perfect.
Keep up the good job.
thanks :D remember tho, this design is inspired solely on the game snayke made by slime
saved by a scholarship..
redesigned my "avatar"
slime
Solid Snayke

Post by slime »

Hi. I like the game! It's awesome to see something that's inspired by something I made. :)
I don't think Snayke is able to show that shade of orange, I might have to add that in. Overall I think your backgrounds look a bit cleaner than mine.

I just wrote a blog post on the Snayke website about smooth grid-based movement, I hope it helps you. It really makes things feel much better. I also think it would be a good idea to put input turn events into a queue, and process the first one in the queue on each tick. That way you don't have to time each keypress with the movement of the snake, you can (for example) press "up" and then "left" in quick succession, and expect the snake to do exactly that if it's able.
JaseMourne
Prole

Post by JaseMourne »

What a beautiful game! I checked the code and you, bro, are one funny individual. :) I laughed a lot. Dem commentz...
awhite92
Prole

Post by awhite92 »

slime wrote:Hi. I like the game! It's awesome to see something that's inspired by something I made.
slime wrote:I just wrote a blog post on the Snayke website about smooth grid-based movement, I hope it helps you.
i will check it out after my finals this semester :D been trying to stay focused on collage
slime wrote:I also think it would be a good idea to put input turn events into a queue, and process the first one in the queue on each tick. That way you don't have to time each keypress with the movement of the snake, you can (for example) press "up" and then "left" in quick succession, and expect the snake to do exactly that if it's able.
whats funny is i actually have it queue one move (so it would prevent you from turning up then left when ur moving right) i just have a problem with removing elements from a table, and i know its cuz im trying to do it while im in a loop that is using the table (if that makes any sense) so it crashes it. but ill work on that cuz i actually consider the snake movement a little buggy.
JaseMourne wrote:What a beautiful game! I checked the code and you, bro, are one funny individual. I laughed a lot. Dem commentz...
thanks :D i just get in the mood of writing in my code it gets out of hand sometimes tho lol im glad you enjoyed it :)
saved by a scholarship..
redesigned my "avatar"
Santos
Party member

Post by Santos »

Very nicely polished! :)

To remove table entries while looping through it, you can use a "reverse" for loop which counts backwards:

Code: Select all

for i = #thetable, 1, -1 do
    if shouldremove(thetable[i]) then
        table.remove(thetable, i)
    end
end
Hope this helps! ^^
Munkeecrayon1
Prole

Post by Munkeecrayon1 »

Awesome game dude. Nice work, keep it up. :)
LuaWeaver
Party member

Post by LuaWeaver »

Nice, but the computer I'm on has relatively poor hardware, so only 6 FPS. I'll get back to you when I get back to my good one! :3

Also, the graphics are really nice. Good work on the game itself, it's wonderful for a first.
(looks at lack of mine)
:l

Oh noes! I better get working too. :l
"your actions cause me to infer your ego is the size of three houses" -finley
awhite92
Prole

Post by awhite92 »

Santos wrote:Very nicely polished! :)

To remove table entries while looping through it, you can use a "reverse" for loop which counts backwards:

Code: Select all

for i = #thetable, 1, -1 do
    if shouldremove(thetable[i]) then
        table.remove(thetable, i)
    end
end
Hope this helps! ^^
thanks for this, ill see if i can implement it when i working on a better querying movement system for the snake.
Munkeecrayon1 wrote:Awesome game dude. Nice work, keep it up. :)
LuaWeaver wrote:Nice, but the computer I'm on has relatively poor hardware, so only 6 FPS. I'll get back to you when I get back to my good one! :3

Also, the graphics are really nice. Good work on the game itself, it's wonderful for a first.
ouch, ill see if i can improve the FPS. but ya please do :D and thanks :D
saved by a scholarship..
redesigned my "avatar"
Roland_Yonaba
Inner party member

Post by Roland_Yonaba »

awhite92 wrote:
LuaWeaver wrote:Nice, but the computer I'm on has relatively poor hardware, so only 6 FPS. I'll get back to you when I get back to my good one! :3
ouch, ill see if i can improve the FPS. but ya please do :D and thanks :D
Yeah maybe coming back on the code, you could find some ways to rethink and optimize.
Anyway, there's still JIT compilers. Slime's LöveJIT, I mean.