Graphics-ficating on OSX

General discussion about LÖVE, Lua, game development, puns, and unicorns.
racarate
Prole

Graphics-ficating on OSX

Post by racarate »

Hey gang, I'm getting warmed up for the next Ludum Dare and I want to try something besides Seashore (I'm on OSX).

I loved mtPaint when I used LOVE on Linux, and I was wondering if anybody has suggestions for a similar program on OSX.

Pixen looks pretty good, that's the first one I'll audition.

Also, and more interestingly, do any of you use a custom pixel art program made in LOVE? I've used LOVE to make simple level editors, so it's not too much of a stretch to imagine extremely-domain-specific sprite art programs out there.

Yeah!

-Nick
Santos
Party member

Re: Graphics-ficating on OSX

Post by Santos »

There's SuperSprite, which looks cool!
Lafolie
Inner party member

Post by Lafolie »

Do you recognise when the world won't stop for you? Or when the days don't care what you've got to do? When the weight's too tough to lift up, what do you? Don't let them choose for you, that's on you.
racarate
Prole

Post by racarate »

Oh neat, SuperSprite does look cool. Am I weird for wanting to add vim-like navigation to plotting pixels? Is that how bitmap programs worked in the dinosaur Amiga days? More importantly, what am I talking about!

-Nick
Lafolie
Inner party member

Post by Lafolie »

I wonder if there's a remake of DeluxePaint floating around...
Do you recognise when the world won't stop for you? Or when the days don't care what you've got to do? When the weight's too tough to lift up, what do you? Don't let them choose for you, that's on you.
Santos
Party member

Post by Santos »

GrafX2 is said to be inspired by Deluxe Paint, has a Mac OS X port and has keyboard navigation! :ultraglee:

And it's scriptable with Lua as well!
Lafolie
Inner party member

Post by Lafolie »

Oh wow, amazing! Thank you. I hope I can press J to toggle documents. I used to love making 2-frame animations on this when I was a kid.
racarate
Prole

Post by racarate »

Holy crap, I never heard of DPaint until I read the Warcraft post-mortem that came out last week.

I ended up using Pickle for Ludum Dare, and it was very nice although not being able to zoom in and not being able to select-move regions when making animations was a trifle annoying.

-Nick
racarate
Prole

Post by racarate »

Holy crap, Grafx2 is amazing. I feel like I just experienced a part of the past I never knew existed. Too bad is crashes like crazy on OSX. Linux version is stable unless I used fonts. But those brushes, alpha, smudge, scatter, dithered gradients and KEYBOARD DRAW are the bee's knees!
racarate
Prole

Post by racarate »

I've been playing with Sprite Something this evening, the Dropbox integration is neat I just have LOVE reload my images every 5 seconds and pass the iPad around!

It's too bad none of the cool sprite programs (mtPaint, Grafx2) seem to run well on OSX. Pickle is good for small tasks, but I don't think I would use it for a whole game. Oh well, guess I should learn Photoshop like everybody else.