Mario Kart thing (Tero Kart)

Show off your games, demos and other (playable) creations.
Jasoco
Inner party member

Re: Mario Kart thing

Post by Jasoco »

coffee wrote:
retrotails wrote:No gameplay, yet.
It's a start! Looking nice even that when rotating perpective don't seem quite right for now.

@Nixola demo runs +300fps here but the code don't seem for now too much demading.

@Jasoco You did that a long ago (so nobody will take that away from you) but also and unfortunately you didn't even released a tech demo of it (even that is based in your wolfstein engine). So retrotails is now in the lead. ("tails? lead? racing? oh stop try being funny coffee!")

BTW your old wolfstein engine demo runs +70fps here. And seemed solid. Sad that you stopped that because AI factor. You could at least release a super mario kart for 2 players without AI worries. But don't give up of those projects.

It's almost absurd that LOVE don't have 2D racing games (the one only I found in forum is offline) but people want to 3D (ok fake) versions of Super Mario Kart. :D

So please someone do finally a LOVE racing game!
I stopped not because of the AI only but because I need to do a lot of recoding. It was a big mess. It needed to be optimized. And I've just been really distracted lately. It is a priority though because I will not let this one fall away into some folder never to be seen again.

I need to look at how he did Mode 7 because it seems to look smoother than my rough edged version. If it can be manipulated to exact specifications, I would probably use it for my floors and ceilings.

If this is a race, I say let retrotails do his thing. He obviously knows what he's doing.

This reminds me of the early days of 3D when you had id Software and 3D Realms racing to be the best 3D raycasting engine. You had DOOM come along and blow Wolfenstein and all its clones away. Then 3D Realms brought Duke Nukem 3D which took the DOOM style to the next level. They went at it for years before Quake and other "real" 3D engines came along.

We do want to be able to do simple 3D though which is why I wish we could easily and quickly manipulate images in a 3D matrix. Or at least warp each of their four corners. I could do the math for 3D points, but without the texturing, all you have is StarFox. Which I did have at one point. Kind of. But then again, I'm no math genius. I start with code I find and manipulate it to my needs. I've tried looking at my old 3D model code again and it's such a mess I can't make heads nor tails of it, which is why I wanted to start WolfenLöve over again right before it became more of a mess.

If you want, here's whatever I have of both projects. The Wolf and the Kart engines. In case anyone wants to see how terrible it is. It is not indicative of any kind of final product.
I code 3D now. 3D is cool.zip
Fantastic! Brilliant! Cool!
(1.03 MiB) Downloaded 256 times
coffee
Party member

Post by coffee »

Jasoco wrote: I stopped not because of the AI only but because I need to do a lot of recoding. It was a big mess. It needed to be optimized. And I've just been really distracted lately. It is a priority though because I will not let this one fall away into some folder never to be seen again.

I need to look at how he did Mode 7 because it seems to look smoother than my rough edged version. If it can be manipulated to exact specifications, I would probably use it for my floors and ceilings.

If this is a race, I say let retrotails do his thing. He obviously knows what he's doing.
Well, I don't think that should be a race between you two but obvious both projects could help each other. A bit as I noticed that Wolfenstein thread had a lot of feedback and mutual cooperation comparing raycast engines.

It's a pity that you stopped your projects. I hope you get focus soon to get back to both! You projects always looked awesome. I remember also your RPG game!

I didn't was able to run neither of the projects in that zip but don't matter. I just hope you get someday back to them. Your projects are quite good.
Jasoco
Inner party member

Post by Jasoco »

I didn't stop. They're paused. At least the Wolfenstein one is. The Mario Kart one I did was as a break from the Wolf one that I thought would be easier to finish but ran into more problems and moved onto something else to refresh myself. I do that. It's what I do. I start a project. I run into a wall or get bored. I start another project. Get bored. Want to go back to a previous project. Decide to rewrite it from the ground up instead.

WolfenLöve is the one I really want to make. Especially since I saw GunGodz. I'd never be able to recreate the awesome that is GunGodz, but I can at least make my own. I am thinking of making a 3D randomly generated Rogue-like FPS/RPG or something in the end. I mean as you can see, I already have all the components working in some way or another. I have the path-finding in another project. It even works with coroutines to prevent pausing the game loop. I have a maze generation algorithm elsewhere. I have the 3D engine here complete with mostly working doors. (The rendering of doors is still broken in how it keeps creating gaps, but I'll fix it eventually.) Of course I can't draw characters. Or create music. But those should not be the first things you make. I mean Team Meat was two people. One did the coding and didn't know how to draw. The other does the drawing but doesn't know much about code. Put the two together and you have one of the most popular games ever released.

See, my ADD doesn't help. I want to create a Zelda-style game. No, I want to create an RPG. No, today I want to do 3D modeling, nevermind now I want to make a side-scroller. Nope, now I need to make a Wolfenstein clone. Puzzle game time! No, SIMULATION!!! I can never stay on one project for too long before I get an idea for something else.

You can run the projects if you make them into .love files yourself and run them in 0.8.0.
Zeliarden
Party member

Post by Zeliarden »

both gives error in fonts.lua
removing the , 0 at the end fixes that problem
kart is missing map1.lua
3Db looks realy nice! you should finish it :)
Jasoco
Inner party member

Post by Jasoco »

Zeliarden wrote:both gives error in fonts.lua
removing the , 0 at the end fixes that problem
kart is missing map1.lua
3Db looks realy nice! you should finish it :)
What version of Löve are you using? It works fine on my end. Both do. The fonts.lua files are fine. Are you using 0.8.0?

And map1.lua doesn't exist because I'm dumb. I forgot it is in my Application Support folder. (Because the editor is built-into the program.) Here...
map1.lua
Place in /tracks/
(102.22 KiB) Downloaded 222 times
Place it in the Tracks folder. Then enjoy! If you want.
retrotails
Party member

Post by retrotails »

Jasoco wrote: Place it in the Tracks folder. Then enjoy! If you want.
Glad I can test it out once now.
I'd honestly never be able to program half that stuff, I think you could easily change the render engine over to mine and improve it a bit to have a totally complete and awesome game (though mine is probably too slow for rendering tiles, so I bet yours is faster anyway.)
edit: this thread can be locked... I couldn't really add to this game if I wanted to, and there's one that's better in every aspect already anyway.
Roland_Yonaba
Inner party member

Re: Mario Kart thing (Abandoned)

Post by Roland_Yonaba »

Locked ? Hell no...
Awesome, I missed the entire topic, but thanks to Coffee, I got through everything.
Retrotails and Jasoco, all my thumbs up. Very promising projects, indeed.

(Totally off-the-record) Well, I'm totally lacking experience in Mode7-style stuff.
But, as I'm curious, I think i'll google a bit.
I've seen it in action in old SNES games i've played, but I didn't know it was called that way... :awesome:
SiENcE
Party member

Post by SiENcE »

I really love the Kart & the Track Editor Jasoco :cool: .

This should be continued.
coffee
Party member

Post by coffee »

SiENcE wrote:I really love the Kart & the Track Editor Jasoco :cool: .

This should be continued.
I think both projects should be continued. I hadn't notice that retrotails too abandoned/paused (or whatever similar) this project (neither I figure a real reason for do so)! Lock the thread? That's silly! Nothing is wrong with this thread or with your project for that happen. Well, seems that those "3D" Love projects have some kind of curse since they never end finished. That's very unlucky for us.
T-Bone
Inner party member

Post by T-Bone »

This is really cool.

I want a racing game in LÖVE called Blür :neko: