Showcase your libraries, tools and other projects that help your fellow love users.
romaniamiam
Prole

Post by romaniamiam »

Last edited by romaniamiam on Fri Mar 22, 2024 2:50 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Davidobot
Party member

Re: Simple mutltiplayer pong

Post by Davidobot »

Awesome work! :awesome:
PM me on here or elsewhere if you'd like to discuss porting your game to Nintendo Switch via mazette!
personal page and a raycaster
Jasoco
Inner party member

Post by Jasoco »

Is this Windows only? There are EXE files in here! That's so disappointing. I was hoping to try it on OS X because I could never get that Volleyball game to work at all and wanted something simpler to dissect. (Because I still don't understand how networking works!)
Davidobot
Party member

Post by Davidobot »

Jasoco wrote:Is this Windows only? There are EXE files in here! That's so disappointing. I was hoping to try it on OS X because I could never get that Volleyball game to work at all and wanted something simpler to dissect. (Because I still don't understand how networking works!)
You know, you can see contents of LOVE .exe's? Right?
PM me on here or elsewhere if you'd like to discuss porting your game to Nintendo Switch via mazette!
Jasoco
Inner party member

Post by Jasoco »

Davidobot wrote:
Jasoco wrote:Is this Windows only? There are EXE files in here! That's so disappointing. I was hoping to try it on OS X because I could never get that Volleyball game to work at all and wanted something simpler to dissect. (Because I still don't understand how networking works!)
None of the EXE's are archives. At least according to my Unarchiver application. The initial ZIP file has the following in it...

Code: Select all

au3 sauce
  Pong.au3
  Pongserver.au3
conf.lua
data
  ball.png
  bar.png
DevIL.dll
engine.exe
main.lua
OpenAL32.dll
Pong.exe
PongServer.exe
SDL.dll
The EXE files aren't archives and they obviously only run on Windows. There are LUA files in there but are they standalone? Can they be run by themselves? What does Pong.exe and Pongserver.exe do that the normal .lua files don't? Obviously the DLL's belong to ENGINE.exe which I assume is Löve itself.

The problem is that there is no documentation for non-Windows users about how to use this because there's so many unneeded files in there that only Windows users will need. Does this game need the EXE's? Why did they need to be included if not? Could this have just been uploaded as a .love file or two instead?

Just trying to help actually.
romaniamiam
Prole

Post by romaniamiam »

Woops... yeah sorry, forgot about documentation. This is windows only, unless mac has a wine like program, because the server was written in a windows only language. PongServer.exe is the server obviously, Pong.exe is a simple cmd command

start "" "C:\' & OSV() & '\LOVE\love.exe" .'
OSV() being either the 64bit program files or 32. but as far as I know the game doesn't work without connecting to an online server. au3 sauce is the source code to the server and pong. I'd be happy to answer any questions anyone else has.
Jasoco
Inner party member

Post by Jasoco »

That's a shame. I mean couldn't the same functionality have been written in Löve?
romaniamiam
Prole

Post by romaniamiam »

In theory :D, I wanted to challenge myself so I wrote both parts in different languages, I could attempt to code it in lua, if you really want to try it. I don't really see why you would but meh everyone is entitled to there own opinion.
PS Whats with the "obey" thing? Is it an inside joke or something?
Davidobot
Party member

Post by Davidobot »

Jasoco wrote:
Davidobot wrote:
None of the EXE's are archives. At least according to my Unarchiver application. The initial ZIP file has the following in it...

au3 sauce
  Pong.au3
  Pongserver.au3
conf.lua
data
  ball.png
  bar.png
DevIL.dll
engine.exe
main.lua
OpenAL32.dll
Pong.exe
PongServer.exe
SDL.dll
The EXE files aren't archives and they obviously only run on Windows. There are LUA files in there but are they standalone? Can they be run by themselves? What does Pong.exe and Pongserver.exe do that the normal .lua files don't? Obviously the DLL's belong to ENGINE.exe which I assume is Löve itself.

The problem is that there is no documentation for non-Windows users about how to use this because there's so many unneeded files in there that only Windows users will need. Does this game need the EXE's? Why did they need to be included if not? Could this have just been uploaded as a .love file or two instead?

Just trying to help actually.
Well, on Windows, you can open up LOVE .exes as archives.
coffee
Party member

Post by coffee »

Davidobot wrote: You know, you can see contents of LOVE .exe's? Right?

Well, on Windows, you can open up LOVE .exes as archives.
Well but you know, your initial comment was hasty. It's only need to look to this screenshot
QU1vN.png
QU1vN.png (19.26 KiB) Viewed 517 times
to understand that something with that UI the server hardly could be a LOVE file even that "compiled" in EXE. Also romanianmiam already wrote then that the server was coded in Autoit.

Jasoco, could be worst. You at least have the server/client code source in available in that Autoit (script language that I never heard before). If you are really interested in ou can dissect that. Maybe romaniamiam is willing to rewrite it in some other cross-platform script language.