Navi - a message library (6/11 demo)

Showcase your libraries, tools and other projects that help your fellow love users.
litearc
Citizen

Re: A message system

Post by litearc »

Haha, okay, scratch that idea... guess I'll work on getting those other features in and cleaning this thing up. Final version should be coming out soon!
Nixola
Inner party member

Post by Nixola »

I used to be a Canvas Hater like you, until I took a Linux in the disk
(Seriously, I didn't support canvases nor npot on Windows, I installed Ubuntu and I do now, on a miserable netbook)
lf = love.filesystem
ls = love.sound
la = love.audio
lp = love.physics
lt = love.thread
li = love.image
lg = love.graphics
Elena5
Prole

Post by Elena5 »

I second what coffee said. There is absolutely no need of canvas for such small script.

Great job by the way. I was working on something similar but with less functionalities. Hope you will clean everything soon (should be straightforward) ! By cleaning, I mean gather everything in one file, and using the local keyword.

But one question, what do you mean by «message box animation» ?
Robin
The Omniscient

Post by Robin »

My Rich Text library uses canvases, but can also not use them. I guess I could make the switch work automatically in the next version.
Help us help you: attach a .love.
litearc
Citizen

Post by litearc »

@Elena5: By the animation, I mean it'll show the message box open and close. Just a neat effect to make it look more animated.

@Robin: If there are performance issues, maybe I'll add a Canvas option, but there shouldn't be given the vast majority of the processing is done up-front.
Jasoco
Inner party member

Post by Jasoco »

I'll admit I'm way more interested in a library to display text with different colored parts and fonts like both this and Robin's libraries do. I don't really care about the Message system part as long as I can just call a function that will print the text I feed it like it would if I just used love.graphics.print as long as it can work without Canvases because I've started to create projects that can use canvas, but also work without them if need be. In fact, whatever library I use I'll probably modify to only use the printing part.

You and Robin should get together and see if you can get a really great project going. The more the better. Something good that can do Nintendo Zelda-style text is all I need. I came here from Robin's project because it required canvases, so I needed one without the requirement, but while Robin's was just a text display, which is what I needed, yours is a message system, which I'd rather build myself. I only need the printing part really.
litearc
Citizen

Post by litearc »

Well, it would be really easy to add an option to instantly display the message, which would almost be the same as a print function. One difference is that this would still require initialization to parse out all the necessary information, so you wouldn't just be able to do something like

Code: Select all

message.print('|c{red}Hello |c{blue}world.',10,10)
This also doesn't do different fonts and font sizes, but that wouldn't be too difficult. What are all the features you would want? I can add them in if it's not too time-consuming or side-tracking.
Jasoco
Inner party member

Post by Jasoco »

That's why it would be neat if you and Robin sort of network together. His has an initialization part as well. What I would also like to see is a message system with the scrolling text when you change pages. Even if it only works when canvas is enabled. (I'd make the library have a flag that is set when initializing whether to use canvases or not, or just have it check if canvas is supported itself.

Really all I want from a system is the ability to display text with different colors in certain spots like you do now. But I don't want you breaking up your messaging system. Mature it as you will. When it comes time for me to use one, I will hope to use it as-is.
coffee
Party member

Post by coffee »

Jasoco wrote:I'll admit I'm way more interested in a library to display text with different colored parts and fonts like both this and Robin's libraries do. I don't really care about the Message system part as long as I can just call a function that will print the text I feed it like it would if I just used love.graphics.print as long as it can work without Canvases because I've started to create projects that can use canvas, but also work without them if need be. In fact, whatever library I use I'll probably modify to only use the printing part.

You and Robin should get together and see if you can get a really great project going. The more the better. Something good that can do Nintendo Zelda-style text is all I need. I came here from Robin's project because it required canvases, so I needed one without the requirement, but while Robin's was just a text display, which is what I needed, yours is a message system, which I'd rather build myself. I only need the printing part really.
I actually and basically share same opinion than Jasoco. Litearc's system message looking great but is the core text/tag/color/font component is what make both your projects awesome. I'd love to see that core functionality as main core lib and the message box component as extension/plug-in of it. You already know my earlier opinions about canvas so I skip it. Working together or not is your call, you both together have would have a nice mix of effort, desire and code experience. I really think love community need and would thank such helpful basic text implementation.
Elena5
Prole

Post by Elena5 »

Jasoco wrote:Really all I want from a system is the ability to display text with different colors in certain spots like you do now.
I agree with this. I also only want to specify where the text is appearing (x,y), the width of the text, the number of lines of the text, the format of the text and that should do the trick. Then you can add some functions like has the text stopped appearing? From this, the message box system can be easily made.