Complete Newb.

Questions about the LÖVE API, installing LÖVE and other support related questions go here.
Forum rules
Before you make a thread asking for help, read this.
Sonichu97
Prole

Complete Newb.

Post by Sonichu97 »

So one of my friends knew about my aspirations to make video games and directed me here. He said it was a free engine and the language was not too hard to learn.
So far I've been confused.
I've been looking at the wiki and tutorials on the wiki on how to set up a game.
The tutorials usually tell me to check Lua tutorials and the book. But this just adds more confusion as I don't know what any of it means.
I've really had no exposure to programming except reading a book on visual basic and the below basics of programming.
I'm not sure how to set up anything. Whether to have specific file names or not. What codes allow me to add a play/load game option.
I realize this is a tall order and really stupid of me to go around asking for help on something I could find a tutorial on somewhere(even though I've already tried that...)
Has anyone tried to make an rpg with first person battles? Because that's what I'm trying to do.

Again, sorry for my rambling, and thanks in advance.
SudoCode
Citizen

Re: Complete Newb.

Post by SudoCode »

I'm not sure how to set up anything.
What do you mean by set up? File structure?
Whether to have specific file names or not.
It depends what files you're talking about. You'll need a main.lua and will probably want a conf.lua, but you can name other files whatever you want as long as they're defined as such when you're calling them.
What codes allow me to add a play/load game option.
I'm not sure what you're asking here. If you're talking about a menu, then there are numerous libraries for them that you can find in the forums and on the wiki. It's fairly complicated though, so it might be better to start off with making an image move around the screen.
Has anyone tried to make an rpg with first person battles? Because that's what I'm trying to do.
Love is a framework for 2d games, so you aren't going to get a first-person perspective (without a lot of work, at least (although it's possible to simulate one (also with a lot of work))).
kikito
Inner party member

Post by kikito »

You may also want to try my LÖVE tile tutorial. Start on the Basic Concepts section.
When I write def I mean function.
Sonichu97
Prole

Post by Sonichu97 »

Alright, thanks.
And yeah, I meant structure.
And how would first person be a problem? As long as it's 2-D, it'll be fine right?
xjermx
Prole

Post by xjermx »

You just don't see much in the way of first person 2d games. Eye of the Beholder was (I think) 2d (1991). Wolfenstein 3D was somewhere between 2D and 3D.

The first person perspective does not lend itself to two dimensions, with the possible exception of Myst style "hunt and click" games.
Kadoba
Party member

Post by Kadoba »

Erm.. I think when he says first person he means like this.

Sonichu97
Prole

Post by Sonichu97 »

Kadoba wrote:Erm.. I think when he says first person he means like this.

Yeah :D
Sonichu97
Prole

Post by Sonichu97 »

I've been looking at Baconhawk's channel that he linked up there (Thanks by the way, cleared a lot of things up c:)
However, I can't seem to get an image to load. I'm not sure what I'm doing wrong, I'm typing it like he is.
Can anybody help? Sorry I'm so needy D:

Code: Select all

function love.load()
	medium = love.graphics.newFont(45)

picture = love.graphics.newImage("images/test.png")

end
function love.update()

end
function love.drop()
	love.graphics.setColor(255, 255, 255)
	love.graphics.draw("images/test.png")

end
Kadoba
Party member

Post by Kadoba »

Try this:

Code: Select all

function love.load()
       picture = love.graphics.newImage("images/test.png")
    end

function love.drop()
       love.graphics.draw(picture, 0, 0)
    end