Dual Mice

Questions about the LÖVE API, installing LÖVE and other support related questions go here.
Forum rules
Before you make a thread asking for help, read this.
racarate
Prole

Dual Mice

Post by racarate »

Hey gang,

I know the latest SDL can support two mice -- does LOVE2D expose this functionality? I am trying to prototype a two-player iPad game, and this would be perfect for simulating two people dragging around.

If it doesn't expose this feature, would it be difficult to change in the source?

-Nick
bartbes
Sex machine

Re: Dual Mice

Post by bartbes »

You mean the latest, unreleased, SDL? The one we don't use because it's unreleased?
Well, we don't export what we don't have, so no, there's no support for multiple mice (yet).
mickeyjm
Party member

Post by mickeyjm »

I'd like to know how you are making a LOVE game for iPad
Your screen is very zoomed in...
racarate
Prole

Post by racarate »

Ah, ok thanks for the feedback. I didn't realize that version of SDL hadn't been released yet.

I'm not making a LOVE game for the iPad, I was hoping to use LOVE + Dual Mice to prototype a two player iPad game.

The idea was that each player would have a mouse to simulate two simultaneous drags on the iPad screen.

I wonder if the LOVE web player can be hacked up to use HTML5's touch events? Or I can just use HTML5 for the prototype, but yeeuch...

-Nick
racarate
Prole

Post by racarate »

slime
Solid Snayke

Post by slime »

No it didn't, multi-mouse support was dropped from SDL 2.0.
raidho36
Party member

Post by raidho36 »

Distinguish multimouse from multitouch, please.

Multimouse is utterly useless, in general. Computers with more than one mouse is even more rare occasion than gamepad with trackball.
T-Bone
Inner party member

Post by T-Bone »

Note that love-native-android (based on LÖVE 0.7.2) has multitouch support. So if you have an Android unit you can prototype on that.
SimonLarsen
Party member

Post by SimonLarsen »

raidho36 wrote:Multimouse is utterly useless, in general. Computers with more than one mouse is even more rare occasion than gamepad with trackball.
It is definitely not useless. Jamestown (which uses SDL 1.2?) made good use of multiple mice. The project I'm currently working on could very well benefit from it as well. And considering it is pretty common to have more than a single PC per household with a mouse for each I'd say it's a nice option to offer besides the use of controllers.
raidho36
Party member

Post by raidho36 »

Yeah, and I won't be able to play your games the way they meant to be played since I only have one mouse. So are vast majority of all PC users. Seriously, even LeapMotion thing is far more widespread than multiple mice.