Beginner game ideas?

General discussion about LÖVE, Lua, game development, puns, and unicorns.
molul
Party member

Re: Beginner game ideas?

Post by molul »

If you're an absolute beginner in game development and in general programming, you might want to start with a very simple project, just to learn the very basics. Pong or Snake are very good choices.

Otherwise, I'd suggest you to think of some of your favourite game genres (2D, of course :P) and try to do something similar. Currently, my biggest pleasure when developing a game is doing something that feels like those games I loved the most :) Now I'm with a platformer, but in the future I'd love to do a game like Day Of The Tentacle, for instance.

Of course, I'd love developing a brand new game concept, or a mix of two genres (like Mari0). But I don't think I'll be able to do something new if I don't know how to do what already exists.
tentus
Inner party member

Post by tentus »

kikito wrote:I would like to see that.
viewtopic.php?f=5&t=3665
Kurosuke needs beta testers
kikito
Inner party member

Post by kikito »

Oh! Yes, I remember that. I don't know how I read "teleportation" instead of "warp". My bad.

Regarding the topic at hand: if you have not done something at least small, then you have to start small first. Any oldie game like the mentioned above will do. Maybe with a little twist:
  • Spice Invaders: You are a chef defending your dishes from dangerous spices
  • Alcanoid: Like arkanoid, but the ship is an alcaline battery that has to be recharged periodically or you lose a life.
You can also go to http://videogamena.me/ , push the button, and create whatever game it says first. No cheating.
When I write def I mean function.