introducing myself

General discussion about LÖVE, Lua, game development, puns, and unicorns.
sebast
Prole

introducing myself

Post by sebast »

Hi all,

I don't have properly introduced myself yet. (I have little experience in social interactions over internet forums but I've seen people doing that on other forums)

I just finished my (too long) education (computer science, automatics) and want to orient my professional carreer toward game making. Making a game seems to be a good start for that. I looked at many game engines and finally choose LÖVE for lua's "lispesque" paradigm and because I was having a good feeling (must have been wrong, feel terribly unwelcome)(and THAT was overreaction... got it) about LÖVE's community. I read some tutorials and played a little with LÖVE engine. Congratulations guys for this pretty good job.

I'm actually looking for game development experience. I have few game ideas but the amount of time to realize them seems scary to me. Anyway, I feel more like participating in an existing project than starting one on my own at the moment.

I would be very glad to work on a lövely game project, with some experienced lövers.

Thanks for reading !
Last edited by sebast on Tue Nov 22, 2011 11:27 am, edited 1 time in total.
cl-apps
Prole

Re: introducing myself

Post by cl-apps »

Welcome, I'm new too and since I was reminded I havent posted I thought I should. I enjoy the lua language and the love project. Still haven't completed a project with it yet as I enjoy tinkering around :) anyway, enough rambling...
GijsB
Party member

Post by GijsB »

'a good feeling(must have been wrong, feel terribly unwelcome)'

i hope that is sarcasm :_:?
josefnpat
Inner party member

Post by josefnpat »

I dunno about terribly unwelcome, but most of us just keep to ourselves. We're pretty active on the IRC channel anyway.

As for "I'm actually looking for game development experience. ", my suggestion is to start out small, learn the proper syntax and design patters for love, and then after you have released a few projects, try looking for someone to work with :)
Missing Sentinel Software | Twitter

FORCIBLY IGNORED.
<leafo> when in doubt delete all of your code
<bartbes> git rm -r *
<bartbes> git commit -m "Fixed all bugs"
<bartbes> git push
sebast
Prole

Post by sebast »

GijsB wrote:'a good feeling(must have been wrong, feel terribly unwelcome)'

i hope that is sarcasm :_:?
yeah... I don't know... As I said, I have very little experience with social interactions over forums... I must admit I have little experience interacting with peoples AT ALL !
I think I was expecting more feedbacks, more quickly... but then I realized that I was just one drop in the ocean of "people-that-dreams-to-make-video-games".
I apologize for past and future extreme reactions from me.
josefnpat wrote:I dunno about terribly unwelcome, but most of us just keep to ourselves. We're pretty active on the IRC channel anyway.

As for "I'm actually looking for game development experience. ", my suggestion is to start out small, learn the proper syntax and design patters for love, and then after you have released a few projects, try looking for someone to work with :)
Not sure what you mean by "most of us just keep to ourselves"...
I am trying to learn. Take for exemple http://love2d.org/forums/viewtopic.php? ... 078#p39856. I sadly had absolute zero feedback concerning the code, design or whatever...

Anyway, thank you I feel less alone now :)
I'll be back... with another crapy project... and you WILL comment it :P
josefnpat
Inner party member

Post by josefnpat »

My first project never got any posts for weeks (aside from gijsb's), and I think it's because people didn't really know me very well.

In the end, I kept posting games and libraries on the foums, responding to other posts, helping forumers who I can help and joined the IRC channel, and things are much better now imo.

I'll never know if bartbes will ever like me, as I annoy him with bugs sometimes, but oh well :3 I think he's just dandy.
Missing Sentinel Software | Twitter

FORCIBLY IGNORED.
<leafo> when in doubt delete all of your code
<bartbes> git rm -r *
<bartbes> git commit -m "Fixed all bugs"
<bartbes> git push
bartbes
Sex machine

Post by bartbes »

Most people don't play everything, if your game goes under the radar.. it's sad, but it happens.
Even if played, there's plenty of times when a game is "okay", i.e. not making people super-excited, but also not having glaring mistakes. Saying "I played this" doesn't seem like a worthy post to most people.
tentus
Inner party member

Post by tentus »

sebast wrote: I am trying to learn. Take for exemple http://love2d.org/forums/viewtopic.php? ... 078#p39856. I sadly had absolute zero feedback concerning the code, design or whatever...
If you look at http://love2d.org/forums/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=2197 you'll see that a lot of the posts are by me, giving updates and asking for feedback and then long pauses with... nothing. I understand the frustration of no replies, but sometimes it just happens. People usually don't like posting when they don't have something meaningful to say.
Kurosuke needs beta testers
GijsB
Party member

Post by GijsB »

Well, of you post a project, and you want the opinion of people, ask specific, it works better :D
kikito
Inner party member

Post by kikito »

sebast wrote: Not sure what you mean by "most of us just keep to ourselves"...
I am trying to learn. Take for exemple http://love2d.org/forums/viewtopic.php? ... 078#p39856. I sadly had absolute zero feedback concerning the code, design or whatever...
I was one of the ones posting on that forum, but your request was left unanswered. I did not have the time to review your code. Sorry that you felt unwelcome.

I'm actually very happy every time anyone uses any of my libs. Thanks for using it. I wish I had more time to help or review, but lately I'm having less and less time for this kind of things. And I don't even play Skyrim.

Again, sorry if I made you feel bad. Please receive my welcome. Also, your avatar is quite awesome.
When I write def I mean function.