Request: Wiki Sidebar change

General discussion about LÖVE, Lua, game development, puns, and unicorns.
slime
Solid Snayke

Re: Request: Wiki Sidebar change

Post by slime »

tentus wrote:
thelinx wrote:The LÖVE wiki is a reference manual because no one has written any other documentation on it.

So, get to it.
I started to, remember, and got shot down. Apparently having an article on "local" etc did not sit well with the rest of the community.
I think there needs to be a distinction between things specific to LÖVE and things which apply to Lua in general. The LÖVE wiki would probably welcome more LÖVE-specific content, but it's best to keep things which apply to Lua in general in a general Lua wiki.
pudding
Prole

Post by pudding »

If new people are going to be asking Lua-related questions on this forum (which are generally being answered), isn't that a bit of a false distinction? Perhaps if there was some basic Lua info on the wiki it'd stymie those questions.
kraftman
Party member

Post by kraftman »

The main purposes of the wiki are as follows.

That said, it is fully allowed to add information about other things which fall way outside these categories.
from the posting guidelines on the Wiki.
But more on topic, I really don't see the harm in changing the sidebar a bit.
TechnoCat
Inner party member

Post by TechnoCat »

kraftman wrote:But more on topic, I really don't see the harm in changing the sidebar a bit.
I don't care, as long as the "Documentation" part of the sidebar stays intact at the top.
slime
Solid Snayke

Post by slime »

pudding wrote:If new people are going to be asking Lua-related questions on this forum (which are generally being answered), isn't that a bit of a false distinction? Perhaps if there was some basic Lua info on the wiki it'd stymie those questions.
Well, there are already links to the Lua reference manual, the online version of the Programming in Lua book, and the Lua-Users wiki tutorials, all on the front page of the LÖVE wiki. Those three were more than enough to answer my general Lua questions when I was first learning the language (it was my first language, too).