Ipairs

Questions about the LÖVE API, installing LÖVE and other support related questions go here.
Forum rules
Before you make a thread asking for help, read this.
LuaWeaver
Party member

Re: Ipairs

Post by LuaWeaver »

Thank you, that explains quite a bit.
"your actions cause me to infer your ego is the size of three houses" -finley
Kadoba
Party member

Post by Kadoba »

T-Bone wrote: Are these two methods equally fast by the way?
Using pairs is slightly faster than ipairs. Indexing is quite a bit faster than both. There was a discussion over this recently with a nice graph illustrating the speeds of the different iterating methods, but I can't find the thread now.
pudding
Prole

Post by pudding »

Here's a link to the exciting graphs: http://www.facepunch.com/threads/875909 ... and-ipairs
thelinx
The Strongest

Post by thelinx »

Also, "arrays", or tables that are number-ordered like {"item", "another item", "you get the idea"} are called "sequences" in Lua. (according to the Lua 5.2 documentation)
Xgoff
Party member

Post by Xgoff »

pudding wrote:Here's a link to the exciting graphs: http://www.facepunch.com/threads/875909 ... and-ipairs
... wait, there were arguments over which of pairs or ipairs were faster? what? this shouldn't be an issue in the first place since they aren't really interchangeable to begin with

the only one i remember hearing about is ipairs vs a numeric for, the latter of which is faster mainly because it doesn't have a per-iteration function call
kikito
Inner party member

Post by kikito »

Kadoba wrote:Using pairs is slightly faster than ipairs.
The article pointed out by pudding states that pairs is faster under very specific circumstances - tables with more than 15k elements. That's the edge case, not the norm; you usually have less than that. Ipairs is the fastest one in general.
When I write def I mean function.
Robin
The Omniscient

Post by Robin »

Still, why would you care either way? They do what they're supposed to do, and they're still much faster than anything in, say, Ruby.

This is not meant as a slight against Ruby: it usually also gets the job done, in terms of speed.
Help us help you: attach a .love.
kikito
Inner party member

Post by kikito »

you are absolutely right. Most of the time, these small differences don't matter.

Nevertheless, I was curious about the situation: it isn't intuitive that pairs is faster, even if only in some cases
When I write def I mean function.