Wiki Requests

General discussion about LÖVE, Lua, game development, puns, and unicorns.
TechnoCat
Inner party member

Re: Wiki Requests

Post by TechnoCat »

This should always be the first place newcomers to programming wanting to make something in LOVE should start: http://love2d.org/wiki/Tutorial:Hamster_Ball
GijsB
Party member

Post by GijsB »

why wont why add EVERY question we get in Support And Develompent with the answer to the wiki :D?
bartbes
Sex machine

Post by bartbes »

Because that's what forums are for?
GijsB
Party member

Post by GijsB »

bartbes, but so we get less questions in the forums...
bartbes
Sex machine

Post by bartbes »

Is that a good thing? I'd rather have a forum used for what it's meant for, and a wiki used for what it's meant for, than a spammed, overflowing disorganized wiki and an underused forum.
BlackBulletIV
Inner party member

Post by BlackBulletIV »

bartbes wrote:Is that a good thing? I'd rather have a forum used for what it's meant for, and a wiki used for what it's meant for, than a spammed, overflowing disorganized wiki and an underused forum.
Indeed. Plus, we get a lot of questions, many of them too specific for a wiki, and sometimes not related to LOVE at all (like mathematical questions).
Taehl
Dreaming in associative arrays

Post by Taehl »

Like I said in another thread, a tutorial on how to use either LuaSocket or LUBE to make a basic authoritative-server-architecture multiplayer game would be a great addition.
Earliest Love2D supporter who can't Love anymore. Let me disable pixel shaders if I don't use them, dammit!
Lenovo Thinkpad X60 Tablet, built like a tank. But not fancy enough for Love2D 0.10.0+.
tentus
Inner party member

Post by tentus »

Added an entry for local, essentially just a few quick quotes from the PIL. (Side note, why is local so far into the PIL?) Do you guys think we should have an entry on global? I don't think new people will search for it so much, but it's weird to have local and not global...
Kurosuke needs beta testers
kraftman
Party member

Post by kraftman »

tentus wrote:Added an entry for local, essentially just a few quick quotes from the PIL. (Side note, why is local so far into the PIL?) Do you guys think we should have an entry on global? I don't think new people will search for it so much, but it's weird to have local and not global...
Great Idea, I've seen a lot of people hardly using local at all.

http://www.wowwiki.com/Lua_variable_scoping is a great tutorial on local/global scoping in Lua, if you ignore the stuff about warcraft and know that DEFAULT_CHAT_FRAME:AddMessage = print.
tentus
Inner party member

Post by tentus »

kraftman wrote:
tentus wrote:Added an entry for local, essentially just a few quick quotes from the PIL. (Side note, why is local so far into the PIL?) Do you guys think we should have an entry on global? I don't think new people will search for it so much, but it's weird to have local and not global...
Great Idea, I've seen a lot of people hardly using local at all.

http://www.wowwiki.com/Lua_variable_scoping is a great tutorial on local/global scoping in Lua, if you ignore the stuff about warcraft and know that DEFAULT_CHAT_FRAME:AddMessage = print.
Good, link, I'd say add it to the See Also section if you think people will get it.

I added a require entry but I don't even know where to begin with explaining how it works. I feel like we should have something short up there to introduce people to the idea of require, but explaining how it does paths usually turns into a verbose mess pretty quickly. Ideas?
Kurosuke needs beta testers