LuaEdit

Showcase your libraries, tools and other projects that help your fellow love users.
kraftman
Party member

LuaEdit

Post by kraftman »

So I've been coding for a while with Lua, and the one thing that bugs me about text editors is their 1 dimensional nature: its just one huge list of all the stuff thats going into the program. You can separate it a bit by putting it into different files, but its still kind of annoying when you're working on two different parts of the same file, etc.

With that in mind, I'm trying to develop something that makes more sense in my head:
kznL4.jpg
kznL4.jpg (75.05 KiB) Viewed 533 times
You can open multiple projects, and have multiple files per project. As you code, it auto splits based on functions, and if a function is in the way, you can collapse it down to just its title, or collapse all of its sub functions.

It's still very much a work in progress, I'm having a lot of issues with performance due to having to draw the text out in sections for syntax highlighting, and framebuffers seem to have a problem rendering properly.

Eventually I'd like it to show other project files, such as images, and maybe run some of the written code in its own mini sandbox.
Ensayia
Party member

Re: LuaEdit

Post by Ensayia »

It's an interesting idea that will be handy for people who think spatially or visually. I do like the dark background and contrast you have going.

Will the user be able to pan around the screen if the project is composed of too many nodes to fit on screen at once?
tentus
Inner party member

Post by tentus »

Just a tip, if you like to have multiple lines of code up at once, Notepad++ can do splitscreen on one or more files. It's really handy with large projects.
Kurosuke needs beta testers
Cnaff
Prole

Post by Cnaff »

Really cool, will be nice for people like me who aren't very good at coding! :awesome:
Lafolie
Inner party member

Post by Lafolie »

tentus wrote:Just a tip, if you like to have multiple lines of code up at once, Notepad++ can do splitscreen on one or more files. It's really handy with large projects.
I actually think that this project is quite innovative. I've tested an early version of it and it works surprisingly well.

I hope you manage to finish it :)
Do you recognise when the world won't stop for you? Or when the days don't care what you've got to do? When the weight's too tough to lift up, what do you? Don't let them choose for you, that's on you.
kraftman
Party member

Post by kraftman »

Ensayia wrote:
Will the user be able to pan around the screen if the project is composed of too many nodes to fit on screen at once?
Yeh, you can pan and zoom.
T-Bone
Inner party member

Post by T-Bone »

Looks nice. I've been thinking about making something a bit like this for a while. Keep up the good work, and please show us a demo version when you think it's ready for it! I'd love to try it.

However, I'm not sure it's something you really need. I use gedit, which has tabs built in, among other nice heatures, making it quite easy to deal with large amounts of code in several separate .lua files.
Kadoba
Party member

Post by Kadoba »

I saw something sort of like this a while back. It was called Code Bubbles, which is think is a visual studio add-on. Being a very visual person myself I have to say this sounds quite awesome.
kraftman
Party member

Post by kraftman »

Kadoba wrote:I saw something sort of like this a while back. It was called Code Bubbles, which is think is a visual studio add-on. Being a very visual person myself I have to say this sounds quite awesome.
Thats cool, I didn't really check what else had been done before i started making it, I'll check out the vid and see if it inspires me :P
T-Bone wrote: However, I'm not sure it's something you really need. I use gedit, which has tabs built in, among other nice heatures, making it quite easy to deal with large amounts of code in several separate .lua files.
yeh it's not so much need as want, I'm not even sure I'll end up using it, it was just a good way to learn some more lua and love.
kraftman
Party member

Post by kraftman »

Well here's a quick and dirty demo for anyone interested.

Framebuffers are still pretty dodgy, but the framerate is much higher
You can save and load projects but the layout isn't saved yet.
You can only type from the end of a block of a text currently.

I'm sure there are plenty of other ways of breaking this version, I'm just putting it here in case anyone is interested in playing around with it.

Enjoy!
Attachments
LuaEdit2-4.love
(310.29 KiB) Downloaded 216 times