Textured sprites

General discussion about LÖVE, Lua, game development, puns, and unicorns.
Robin
The Omniscient

Re: Textured sprites

Post by Robin »

Think of all that LÖVE has come to represent: simplicity, ease of use, cross-platformness, lots of power for little effort. Letting people write shaders challenges each of those.
Help us help you: attach a .love.
BlackBulletIV
Inner party member

Post by BlackBulletIV »

Robin wrote:Think of all that LÖVE has come to represent: simplicity, ease of use, cross-platformness, lots of power for little effort. Letting people write shaders challenges each of those.
Sounds like enforced simplicity. The fact is: you don't need to write shaders for graphics. If LOVE made you use an OpenGL API for graphics, that would be bad, you'd have to use it; not so for shaders.

If only pre-compiled shaders were to be used, I can imagine many cases where people would asking for X shader to be included, or compiling their own version of LOVE so that they can have that particular shader. I think that it would be better to provide a good set of pre-compiled shaders, and let people write their own if they need to. That is, unless an awesome shader language for LOVE was created.
RPG
Party member

Post by RPG »

BlackBulletIV wrote:I think that it would be better to provide a good set of pre-compiled shaders, and let people write their own if they need to.
+1

GLSL is a good language :cool:
There is many shaders on nvidia website, you can use any of them.