Animation

Questions about the LÖVE API, installing LÖVE and other support related questions go here.
Forum rules
Before you make a thread asking for help, read this.
plfx
Prole

Animation

Post by plfx »

Alright, first post: hello all. Greetings greetings...

I have a question about a rather curious deprecation in the API; why on earth is animation support considered legacy, and whats the preferred way of dealing with this? It seems weird that animations would be removed, leaving us no recourse but AnAL. So, are we supposed to use AnAL? Do we write our own?

Can someone explain these and offer a justification for why it was taken out to begin with?

Questions aside, hello all and thanks for your support. I've really been enjoying toying with love.
TechnoCat
Inner party member

Re: Animation

Post by TechnoCat »

1. Use AnAL http://love2d.org/wiki/AnAL
2. They stopped keeping the Po2 overhead internal. http://love2d.org/wiki/PO2_Syndrome Or at least I think that is why they dropped animation as a LOVE feature.
plfx
Prole

Post by plfx »

Thanks for extreme quickness.

On that note: is there support for animated formats like GIF and animated PNG somewhere in the API?
TechnoCat
Inner party member

Post by TechnoCat »

plfx wrote:Thanks for extreme quickness.

On that note: is there support for animated formats like GIF and animated PNG somewhere in the API?
No. =[

However, I would argue GIF's are ugly and APNG's aren't official.
RPG
Party member

Post by RPG »

Gif is very bad format for animations. I think tiled PNG is much better.
http://www.freewebs.com/nojic/supermari ... _sheet.png
http://labs.teppefall.com/mario2.png

Tiled PNG's will be added in lQuery library (integration with :animete method).

I think it's better that LOVE doesn't have inategrated animations and you can choose one of the libraries that you like (AnAL, lQuery, Grace, Tweener, etc...).

LOVE is a fairly young engine, so there is still a small number of libraries for UI, animations, but in the future there will be many libararies for LOVE.
BlackBulletIV
Inner party member

Post by BlackBulletIV »

RPG wrote:... Grace ...
You've probably seen it, but Grace is no longer under development right now... and it's a complete mess. So don't use it for now; I'm guessing lQuery is probably a better option. XD

EDIT: Yay! 500 posts (half a millenium!).
RPG
Party member

Post by RPG »

lQuery isnt under development too: we are now writing a new game based on lQuery and documentation (only russian yet :( - my english is too bad) for lQuery.
Also I'm trying to write lQueryUI - UI based on lQuery event/animation system and there are many things to do.
BlackBulletIV
Inner party member

Post by BlackBulletIV »

Lol, sounds similar. I'm writing a game right now too, from which the core code will eventually be taken, re-factored, and formed into the new Grace.

lQueryUI sounds exciting. I'm looking for a good UI library that's up-to-date (currently using Goo).
RPG
Party member

Post by RPG »

Is there any other UI library besides Goo? Goo is not i'm looking for. I saw LoveUI somewhere, but I can't find its sources. I write my own but it's very hard - to create powerful UI library. My dream - to crease similar to jQuery/jQueryUI framework in JavaScript but in LUA. Making games with it will be not easy but very easy:)

I need some widgets for my game:
- button (is in lQuery)
- spinbox (is in lQuery)
- text input
- scroll text widget
- table widget
- scrollbox (select box)

I'm in game development now and can't spend much time on UI library.
BlackBulletIV
Inner party member

Post by BlackBulletIV »

Sounds great. Although I don't think you can ever make game development very easy, or even easy. But, a framework like LOVE and some good libraries go a long way.

One thing I found, text input is very hard. It makes me wonder over how they get it so good on Mac OS X (and other OSs).