LÖVE security sandboxing Guide for Ubuntu users

General discussion about LÖVE, Lua, game development, puns, and unicorns.
akima
Prole

LÖVE security sandboxing Guide for Ubuntu users

Post by akima »

http://love2d.org/wiki/UbuntuSecurity

The above is a simple guide I have written which explains how to security sandbox the LÖVE engine if you're an Ubuntu user. If anyone uses my guide please tell me. It took me ages to write it!

Also: Could one of the wiki admins make a link to my guide somewhere appropriate in the wiki so people can easily find it?

Sorry Mac OS X and Windows users. I'm afraid my guide only applies to Ubuntu users. Maybe your OS has a similar sandboxing technology available?

-Akima
Last edited by akima on Tue Mar 29, 2011 8:18 am, edited 1 time in total.
thelinx
The Strongest

Re: LÖVE security sandboxing Guide for Ubuntu users

Post by thelinx »

It seems you're mistaken on one bit. In LÖVE 0.7, the save directory was moved to $XDG_DATA_HOME/love, or ~/.local/share/love by default.
akima
Prole

Post by akima »

thelinx wrote:It seems you're mistaken on one bit. In LÖVE 0.7, the save directory was moved to $XDG_DATA_HOME/love, or ~/.local/share/love by default.
Thanks for the hint. I've created read write access too ~/.local/share/love/. I'll have a look into $XDG_DATA_HOME/love later.
thelinx
The Strongest

Post by thelinx »

XDG_DATA_HOME is a variable defined by its FreeDesktop.org spec. Many distros don't set this, in which case it should default to $HOME/.local/share/
akima
Prole

Post by akima »

I checked on my Ubuntu system and it wasn't set. The AppArmor profile is only intended to be used on the Ubuntu distribution, so it looks safe to leave a hard coded path to ~/.local/share/love in the profile. Thanks again for the feedback! ;)