Lasers with box2d

Questions about the LÖVE API, installing LÖVE and other support related questions go here.
Forum rules
Before you make a thread asking for help, read this.
slime
Solid Snayke

Lasers with box2d

Post by slime »

What is a good, clean way to have laser-type (instantaneous beam which will go in a straight line to its max distance or to any object it hits, with a long lifetime) objects using the box2d API? Stuff I've tried has been very hack-ish and doesn't work quite right.
Taehl
Dreaming in associative arrays

Re: Lasers with box2d

Post by Taehl »

Well, /technically/ a laser wouldn't have any effect on an object's velocity. :P

But to achieve what you want to do, I guess you would need to make a function that checks if any bodies intersect with a given line, then impart velocity appropriately.
Earliest Love2D supporter who can't Love anymore. Let me disable pixel shaders if I don't use them, dammit!
Lenovo Thinkpad X60 Tablet, built like a tank. But not fancy enough for Love2D 0.10.0+.
slime
Solid Snayke

Post by slime »

Right, I'm not too worried about the collision response, I just want something that works well with box2d and won't cause performance problems (line detection might have slowdowns because as far as I'm aware I would be checking against every damageable object in the game, which could be a lot).
Robin
The Omniscient

Post by Robin »

Things like spacial hashes and quadtrees might help.
Help us help you: attach a .love.
kikito
Inner party member

Post by kikito »

What about a 3-pixel-width rectangular sensor shape (or several of them aligned)?

You can detect collisions with them, and at the same time they "go through" everything.
When I write def I mean function.