[idea] A love2d playground

General discussion about LÖVE, Lua, game development, puns, and unicorns.
zhengying
Prole

[idea] A love2d playground

Post by zhengying »

Currently, tools like GitHub Copilot and Cursor are gaining significant popularity. In light of this trend, I propose creating a Love2D playground integrated with ChatGPT. This tool isn't intended for product development, but rather for learning Love2D and rapidly experimenting with game ideas.

Key features:
1. Lightweight and out of the box, quick prototype
2. leverage LLM to generate code or study love2d in the playground
3. Developed entirely with Love2D, Open-source project

The primary goal is to provide a platform for users to easily study Love2D and quickly prototype game concepts. I've sketched out a prototype design for this tool.

What are your thoughts on this proposal? Do you see potential benefits or challenges in implementing such a playground?
Screenshot 2024-10-07 at 11.23.54.png
Screenshot 2024-10-07 at 11.23.54.png (145.5 KiB) Viewed 656 times
marclurr
Party member

Re: [idea] A love2d playground

Post by marclurr »

I can see the utility of a playground like this but don't like the idea is integrating LLM code generation, especially if this is intended primarily as a learning tool.

It would be much more useful to just have curated code snippets and good integration with the Löve wiki. Using curated snippets would be more laborious but has the benefit of being accurate and can demonstrate the idioms intended by the API designers to new users better than code cobbled together by a contextually challenged "AI".
zhengying
Prole

Post by zhengying »

marclurr wrote: Mon Oct 07, 2024 4:48 am I can see the utility of a playground like this but don't like the idea is integrating LLM code generation, especially if this is intended primarily as a learning tool.

It would be much more useful to just have curated code snippets and good integration with the Löve wiki. Using curated snippets would be more laborious but has the benefit of being accurate and can demonstrate the idioms intended by the API designers to new users better than code cobbled together by a contextually challenged "AI".
Yes, I agree with you, It should first a playground, AI assistance should be a tool in it, you can use it, or never touch it.
RNavega
Party member

Post by RNavega »

zhengying wrote: Mon Oct 07, 2024 3:43 am Currently, tools like GitHub Copilot and Cursor are gaining significant popularity.
This is probably off-topic, but do you know who is forming this audience for these AI assistants? Like, what's the profile of the people using it the most?
zhengying
Prole

Post by zhengying »

RNavega wrote: Mon Oct 07, 2024 12:55 pm
zhengying wrote: Mon Oct 07, 2024 3:43 am Currently, tools like GitHub Copilot and Cursor are gaining significant popularity.
This is probably off-topic, but do you know who is forming this audience for these AI assistants? Like, what's the profile of the people using it the most?
I've observed that many web developers are using AI assistants, and almost all the ones I know personally are doing so. I believe AI assistants will revolutionize programming, it's just a matter of time. Many non-game developers who want to create their own games will likely try AI assistants to assist in game development.

Love2D, in particular, is very well-suited for Large Language Models (LLMs) because it doesn't rely on an editor, and its API is very stable. This means that AI assistants are already familiar with its API, resulting in the generation of relatively high-quality code.

Even for the most proficient game developers, an AI assistant can offer valuable code templates for creating prototypes. This can be incredibly helpful in speeding up the development process and improving the quality of the initial stages of a project.
Gunroar:Cannon()
Party member

Post by Gunroar:Cannon() »

Sounds cool. Heck, even Meta AI on WhatsApp helped me get Lootlocker with Love2D working.
The risk I took was calculated,
but man, am I bad at math.

-How to be saved and born again :huh:
zhengying
Prole

Post by zhengying »

Gunroar:Cannon() wrote: Mon Oct 07, 2024 6:48 pm Sounds cool. Heck, even Meta AI on WhatsApp helped me get Lootlocker with Love2D working.
Haha, I'm not sure if you're joking, but it's interesting to hear!