LÖVE 11.5 released!

General discussion about LÖVE, Lua, game development, puns, and unicorns.
Thy Posh Dev
Prole

Re: LÖVE 11.5 released!

Post by Thy Posh Dev »

We need to give the forums an update there too old.
zorg
Party member

Post by zorg »

Thy Posh Dev wrote: Fri Jun 28, 2024 1:19 pm We need to give the forums an update there too old.
How so? what would you want changed?
Me and my stuff :3True Neutral Aspirant. Why, yes, i do indeed enjoy sarcastically correcting others when they make the most blatant of spelling mistakes. No bullying or trolling the innocent tho.
gcmartijn
Party member

Post by gcmartijn »

In my opinion, the forum is still functioning well; it does what it's supposed to do and works functionally. The time required to set up a new forum while retaining all current articles and indexed URLs, as well as references to other topics within the forum, also needs to be considered.

It's also true that the time lost updating/maintaining a completely new forum could be better spent on developing Love2D itself.

If any changes should be made in terms of styling, I think it should be done within the current forum using a new CSS. I also don't believe that people use this forum on mobile often (I don't have access to Google Analytics).
marclurr
Party member

Post by marclurr »

gcmartijn wrote: Sat Jun 29, 2024 5:58 am I also don't believe that people use this forum on mobile often (I don't have access to Google Analytics).
I do all the time. I share your view though, can't see anything wrong with the forums as they are. In fact I prefer this style of forum to the silly Javascript heavy forums available now (namely Discourse, what an abomination that is).
pgimeno
Party member

Post by pgimeno »

Good luck with that. Also, I don't think this thread is appropriate.
ivan
Party member

Post by ivan »

It's not just the forums, love2d itself is gradually becoming obsolete

Issues in 11.5
- "package.cpath" is not set correctly on MacOS making it impossible to load binaries located inside the application contents.
- The Love2D application icon is not set by default in top bar on Linux.
Love2d should load its own heart-shaped icon if no icon if specified via "t.window.icon" in conf.lua
- t.conf.identity doesn't work when the .love files is fused to the binary
An error should be raised if this operation is not allowed by love2d
- The Love2D application title is not set by default in the top bar on Linux
- On Microsoft Windows 10, the window title is completely off the screen after calling love.window.setFullscreen
It is not possible to move or resize the window using the mouse after calling love.window.setFullscreen
slime
Solid Snayke

Post by slime »

ivan wrote: Wed Sep 04, 2024 8:16 pm - "package.cpath" is not set correctly on MacOS making it impossible to load binaries located inside the application contents.
love doesn't touch package.cpath, it's set by Lua itself - and Lua's spec does not specify that as a path. Feel free to add to it via string concatenation or use love.filesystem's loader instead which is separate from package.cpath.

ivan wrote: Wed Sep 04, 2024 8:16 pm - The Love2D application icon is not set by default in top bar on Linux.
Love2d should load its own heart-shaped icon if no icon if specified via "t.window.icon" in conf.lua
If you're using Wayland, that window manager is more restrictive about icons than X11 and there isn't anything love or SDL can do to lift those restrictions themselves. Otherwise I'm not sure what you mean.

ivan wrote: Wed Sep 04, 2024 8:16 pm - t.conf.identity doesn't work when the .love files is fused to the binary
I've never heard of this issue before and we've had no prior bug reports whereas many shipped games have used it as far as I know. Please file a bug report with a minimal reproducible example - and keep in mind a LOVE subfolder in appdata is intentionally not used for fused games.

ivan wrote: Wed Sep 04, 2024 8:16 pm - The Love2D application title is not set by default in the top bar on Linux
To me this sounds like a window manager thing that love itself doesn't control, but feel free to be more specific in another thread.

ivan wrote: Wed Sep 04, 2024 8:16 pm - On Microsoft Windows 10, the window title is completely off the screen after calling love.window.setFullscreen
There is no window titlebar when an app is fullscreen, that's part of the point of fullscreen. Or do you mean when it's in windowed mode? Feel free to make another thread about it if you mean windowed mode. Also keep in mind that if you make a window with the same dimensions as the screen, and it's not fullscreen, the window titlebar may not be visible because it would push part of the rest of the window offscreen. Modern windows versions also have optimizations around this state where they put an app into a sort of fullscreen without the app specifying that. love does not control that.

ivan wrote: Wed Sep 04, 2024 8:16 pm It is not possible to move or resize the window using the mouse after calling love.window.setFullscreen
A fullscreen window is not resizable, otherwise it would no longer be fullscreen.

Overall a lot of what you're saying are things that make love obsolete just seems to just be unfamiliarity with how window managers work, but you've provided very little details so I can only guess.
ivan
Party member

Post by ivan »

Sure, I can come up with workarounds myself, but at that point what is the point of using Love2D.
Yea, as I said unfortunately this project is not in good hands nowadays.
dusoft
Party member

Post by dusoft »

ivan wrote: Thu Sep 05, 2024 12:08 pm Sure, I can come up with workarounds myself, but at that point what is the point of using Love2D.
Yea, as I said unfortunately this project is not in good hands nowadays.
I mean that's just your opinion. Instead of complaining here, you can fix it yourself and create a pull request. I am not acquainted with C++ much, but fixing paths, icons etc. should be easy enough even for me, if I needed it to be fixed.

Also fullscreen is *full*screen, no chrome (bars) left behind, that's clearly your misunderstanding how fullscreen works. You probably mean a maximized window, which is trivial to do.
marclurr
Party member

Post by marclurr »

dusoft wrote: Thu Sep 05, 2024 1:10 pm...
I wouldn't waste your breath. This guy turns up occasionally and spews embittered crap and responds to any challenges by doubling down on his opinions. He's not interested in doing anything useful for the community any more, which is a shame. As far as I can tell he was a big contributor some years back.