Use of AI disclaimer. You have one?

General discussion about LÖVE, Lua, game development, puns, and unicorns.
togFox
Party member

Use of AI disclaimer. You have one?

Post by togFox »

An "explanation" of your use of AI is almost demanded these days. I'm thinking of putting this on my CREDITS page.
Some or all screen images are created by image creating artificial intelligence tools.

I deeply understand that AI cannot replace the creativity and uniqueness of real artists. In this instance, I am a solo developer providing this
game at my own expense and offering it free of charge. I have no means to pay for a commercial artist on this game, that is given away freely, so I know my choice to use AI has not removed any income from any artist.

I hope you can understand this decision and continue to support this game.
Thoughts? Improvements? Do you have your own?
Last project:
https://togfox.itch.io/hwarang
A card game that brings sword fighting to life.
Current project:
Turn-based PBEM horse stable (racing) management sim: https://togfox.itch.io/horse-stable-manager
https://discord.gg/HeHgwE5nsZ
slime
Solid Snayke

Re: Use of AI disclaimer. You have one?

Post by slime »

I'd never use 'AI' for my own work even as a solo developer with little art skills, so I don't need one. I just pick an art direction that suits my skillset and budget.

There are also plenty of free fairly high quality asset packs around.

togFox wrote: Tue Jul 02, 2024 11:15 am I know my choice to use AI has not removed any income from any artist.
The phrasing you have ignores the fact that 'AI' tools plagiarize from artists without their consent and intentionally ignore existing copyright laws, I expect it'll still be a turnoff for users especially if you're advertising to folks within creative fields.
NoreoAlles
Party member

Post by NoreoAlles »

AI is, by its nature, always going to hurt someones intelletcual property rights, as its trained by thousands of images without the artist consent, so technically all images have like a gajillion different owners whos rights are just ignored. I also think that AI just removes the "soul" from creating things, what value has an image when it took like 30 seconds to ask an AI to make it. Also I agree with slime, that using AI discourages creative people from even looking at your project, as AI generated images feel like a kick to the face of many artists.
"Why do they call it oven when you of in the cold food of out hot eat the food?" - Jon Arbuckle
zingo
Citizen

Post by zingo »

I'm not a big fan of AI...it always looks so..."superficial" to me (or perhaps the word is "artificial")...either way, it seems to lack..."personality" or "character" (if that makes any sense).

Honestly, I'd rather see original amature/simplistic pixel art in a project, than something that was produced using a command prompt...in fact, in my opinion, "retro" pixel art is a significant part of the visual appeal in 2d games, especially when the developer really pours their heart into it :awesome:

That said...I personally wouldn't fault someone with limited time or resources using whatever tools were available to them...and I'm far from being anything like an artist myself :P
knorke
Party member

Post by knorke »

I had used google-translate to create translation for ingame text.
Someone told me that the finnish version was hard to understand.
We were talking about AI previously so he wanted to show me how chatGPT was going to easily fix it. It turned out to be not so easy because the chatbot kept messing up in various ways, like not only translating the values of the text-table but also its keys.
Or randomly breaking the formatting, breaking the syntax etc.
So it was a fun experiment but maybe it was more hassle than doing it by hand.

I feel using AI for translating a handful of single words or short sentences ("Options", "Player 1 wins" etc) does not warrant a full disclaimer. So I only added the friend's name to the ingame credits with a note: "Finnish translation: Cirakon using chatGPT" or something like that.
MrFariator
Party member

Post by MrFariator »

knorke wrote: Thu Jul 04, 2024 5:16 am Someone told me that the finnish version was hard to understand.
As a native, I've yet to find any single online translation tool that doesn't screw up Finnish in a variety of ways. If you rely on them without having someone proofread the output, you'll end up with cases like "press space" perhaps translating to a command about touching the great infinite void above us, instead of your keyboard.

On the other hand, you can just drop the Finnish translation and be done with it, as English competence is good enough over here. English often is preferable to poorly managed translation.
Staberinde
Prole

Post by Staberinde »

The kind of people that would be offended by playing a game with AI art are not going to be swayed by any justification.

Personally I find the technology fascinating, but at the same time the "art" tends to be underwhelming and samey. I saw a cartoon cat on a party invite the other day and immediately knew it was Midjourney.

It is useful in creating concept art of the ideas in your head, but I only use it as inspiration for creating my own stuff.

Also I'd be concerned about what legal problems you could have in the future if you went commercial, I think they're still figuring out this AI stuff.
Last edited by Staberinde on Mon Jul 15, 2024 4:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.