Alchemist, a "traditional" roguelike

Show off your games, demos and other (playable) creations.
Ghosx
Prole

Re: Alchemist, a "traditional" roguelike

Post by Ghosx »

Looks great and *big* 😎
My Itch.io profile page: https://ghosx.itch.io/ see ya :3
Pinko
Prole

Post by Pinko »

I think your numbering is a little bit off. If it is already playable with graphics, you could give it easily a version of 0.2
But maybe, i dont know what you want to add in your lifetime. Nice game!

Pinko
Author of the vape knigge. I have thought of you! is much better than "i have waited for you". :cool:
marclurr
Party member

Post by marclurr »

A bit late to the party but this is an impressive achievement. I'd be interested to hear your thoughts on maintaining such a large project in Lua.
Spellweaver
Prole

Post by Spellweaver »

Hello again.
I just made a 0.3.1 release, on Itch.io and on Steam.
Here is a video annoncement of the update, or you can read the changelog here.

I also wasn't very active the last months, so I'm sorry for not noticing your replies earlier. Let me answer them now.
Pinko wrote: Wed Sep 20, 2023 10:38 am I think your numbering is a little bit off. If it is already playable with graphics, you could give it easily a version of 0.2
But maybe, i dont know what you want to add in your lifetime. Nice game!

Pinko
I am using the second number in the version for large milestones that makes saves non-compatible, and the third number for smaller patches. I will consider the version to be 1.0.0 when I finish with the main quest.
marclurr wrote: Wed Sep 20, 2023 12:29 pm A bit late to the party but this is an impressive achievement. I'd be interested to hear your thoughts on maintaining such a large project in Lua.
It's not that different from a smaller one, at least for me, except for the amount of testing required. Spent the whole month on this one.
But in terms of code base, as I'm the only one writing it, I still remember most of it.
What probably helps is that I keep ui, graphics, low-level game mechanics (turns calculation, damage, movement, that kind of stuff) and scripting all separate. And the longer the development goes, the more it has to do with the latter category and the less with others, unless I have to add some entirely new mechanic. That takes a lot of burden off my mind, but I'm pretty sure it's common practice anyway.