Install Love2D to Raspberry Pi 400

Questions about the LÖVE API, installing LÖVE and other support related questions go here.
Forum rules
Before you make a thread asking for help, read this.
gameandwelsh
Prole

Re: Install Love2D to Raspberry Pi 400

Post by gameandwelsh »

veethree wrote: Sun Aug 06, 2023 1:24 pm Open your terminal and do

Code: Select all

sudo apt update
sudo apt install love
Hi there,

Thanks for the reply! I ran those in the terminal and something happened but I am not sure what.. :crazy:

Heres the text from the terminal:

i@raspberrypi:~ $ sudo apt update
Hit:1 http://archive.raspberrypi.org/debian buster InRelease
Get:2 http://raspbian.raspberrypi.org/raspbian buster InRelease [15.0 kB]
Get:3 http://raspbian.raspberrypi.org/raspbian buster/main armhf Packages [13.0 MB]
Fetched 13.0 MB in 7s (1,791 kB/s)
Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree
Reading state information... Done
All packages are up to date.
pi@raspberrypi:~ $ sudo apt install love
Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree
Reading state information... Done
The following additional packages will be installed:
binfmt-support
The following NEW packages will be installed:
binfmt-support love
0 upgraded, 2 newly installed, 0 to remove and 0 not upgraded.
Need to get 1,161 kB of archives.
After this operation, 3,468 kB of additional disk space will be used.
Do you want to continue? [Y/n] y
Get:1 http://mirrors.dotsrc.org/raspbian/raspbian buster/main armhf binfmt-support armhf 2.2.0-2 [56.7 kB]
Get:2 http://mirrors.dotsrc.org/raspbian/raspbian buster/main armhf love armhf 11.1-2 [1,104 kB]
Fetched 1,161 kB in 1s (1,302 kB/s)
Selecting previously unselected package binfmt-support.
(Reading database ... 170069 files and directories currently installed.)
Preparing to unpack .../binfmt-support_2.2.0-2_armhf.deb ...
Unpacking binfmt-support (2.2.0-2) ...
Selecting previously unselected package love.
Preparing to unpack .../archives/love_11.1-2_armhf.deb ...
Unpacking love (11.1-2) ...
Setting up love (11.1-2) ...
Setting up binfmt-support (2.2.0-2) ...
Created symlink /etc/systemd/system/multi-user.target.wants/binfmt-support.service → /lib/systemd/system/binfmt-support.service.
Processing triggers for mime-support (3.62) ...
Processing triggers for gnome-menus (3.31.4-3) ...
Processing triggers for systemd (241-7~deb10u9+rpi1) ...
Processing triggers for man-db (2.8.5-2) ...
Processing triggers for shared-mime-info (1.10-1) ...
Processing triggers for desktop-file-utils (0.23-4) ...
pi@raspberrypi:~ $

If it has in fact installed, where could I now find it?
gameandwelsh
Prole

Post by gameandwelsh »

BrotSagtMist wrote: Sun Aug 06, 2023 1:28 pm Uhm you just need to install it.
Have you ever even installed something on linux at all?
Depending on your WM or browser typing apt:love anywhere is enough. Eg in the browser or file manager.
Or use synaptics or when in terminal type "apt install love".
Debian has Löve in the ARM repo, i just installed that myself not long ago. And i assume Raspian has acces to the stock debian repo so there is no need to get a ppa. Unless you want the bleeding edge version of löve that is, but there is little to gain.
I am a complete noob to Linux so nothing is obvious to me, unfortunately.

I had a download of "love-11.4-x86_64.AppImage", and I ran the 2 commands suggested in the above post and something appeared to happen, although I am not certain. :?
GVovkiv
Party member

Post by GVovkiv »

gameandwelsh wrote: Mon Aug 07, 2023 6:53 pm If it has in fact installed, where could I now find it?
Now you can type "love" in your terminal to do stuff, such as running your love game:

love /path/to/directory/where/main.lua/is
Or just "love" to get no-game screen:

love
Also, I believe, you will be able to open .love file in your file manager with "Open with..." menu
BrotSagtMist
Party member

Post by BrotSagtMist »

gameandwelsh wrote: Mon Aug 07, 2023 7:02 pm I am a complete noob to Linux so nothing is obvious to me, unfortunately.

I had a download of "love-11.4-x86_64.AppImage", and I ran the 2 commands suggested in the above post and something appeared to happen, although I am not certain. :?
Common Linux newbee syndrome is to assume something complicated has to be done when in fact everything works already.
It also does not help that every question is answered with terminal foo or config files.
If the task is simply to make a löve game running then the easy procedure is to type apt:love in your browser, confirm with your password and double click the game. That is it, no downloads, no terminal foo.
Everything else is just that other linux users have freaking weird workflows.

If you end up downloading stuff manual you are going in the wrong direction.
Plus, your choice of love-11.4-x86_64.AppImage tells me that it is not linux knowledge that you lack but you need to read up on what hardware you have there. The pi is absolutely incompatible with most stuff you can randomly download of the web.
obey
gameandwelsh
Prole

Post by gameandwelsh »

GVovkiv wrote: Mon Aug 07, 2023 9:16 pm
gameandwelsh wrote: Mon Aug 07, 2023 6:53 pm If it has in fact installed, where could I now find it?
Now you can type "love" in your terminal to do stuff, such as running your love game:

love /path/to/directory/where/main.lua/is
Or just "love" to get no-game screen:

love
Also, I believe, you will be able to open .love file in your file manager with "Open with..." menu
Ah, see coming from Windows and Mac I expected to find the program in my program list somewhere, but I run "love" as you suggest and sure enough the no-game screen appeared!

This is going to take a bit of getting use to ^^ Thanks very much for your help.
gameandwelsh
Prole

Post by gameandwelsh »

BrotSagtMist wrote: Mon Aug 07, 2023 9:41 pm
gameandwelsh wrote: Mon Aug 07, 2023 7:02 pm I am a complete noob to Linux so nothing is obvious to me, unfortunately.

Common Linux newbee syndrome is to assume something complicated has to be done when in fact everything works already.
It also does not help that every question is answered with terminal foo or config files.
If the task is simply to make a löve game running then the easy procedure is to type apt:love in your browser, confirm with your password and double click the game. That is it, no downloads, no terminal foo.
Everything else is just that other linux users have freaking weird workflows.

If you end up downloading stuff manual you are going in the wrong direction.
Plus, your choice of love-11.4-x86_64.AppImage tells me that it is not linux knowledge that you lack but you need to read up on what hardware you have there. The pi is absolutely incompatible with most stuff you can randomly download of the web.
Yep I think I just need to read through the Raspberry Pi documentation :oops: Since the interface looks a lot like Windows, I was assuming it would work more or less the same way, but since I bought this thing I have been in the terminal constantly. So, I have a bit of getting used to how things are done differently here, but think I've had my questions answered now. Thanks a lot!
GVovkiv
Party member

Post by GVovkiv »

gameandwelsh wrote: Tue Aug 08, 2023 3:54 pm Ah, see coming from Windows and Mac I expected to find the program in my program list somewhere, but I run "love" as you suggest and sure enough the no-game screen appeared!

This is going to take a bit of getting use to ^^ Thanks very much for your help.
Well, it's just in that case, love declared in .desktop file to not show itself in programs list. I think it has something to do, that love was not designed to run game from no-game screen and to use it with some sort of IDE. (But this is just speculation).
GVovkiv
Party member

Post by GVovkiv »

gameandwelsh wrote: Tue Aug 08, 2023 4:00 pm Yep I think I just need to read through the Raspberry Pi documentation :oops: Since the interface looks a lot like Windows, I was assuming it would work more or less the same way, but since I bought this thing I have been in the terminal constantly. So, I have a bit of getting used to how things are done differently here, but think I've had my questions answered now. Thanks a lot!
Just don't forget that Raspberry Pi is build with ARM processor, while file that you downloaded "love-11.4-x86_64.AppImage" specifically mention "x86_64" which means, it made for x86_64 processors, so you wouldn't be able to run that file on your Pi.
Pinko
Prole

Post by Pinko »

gameandwelsh wrote: Tue Aug 08, 2023 4:00 pm
Yep I think I just need to read through the Raspberry Pi documentation :oops: Since the interface looks a lot like Windows, I was assuming it would work more or less the same way, but since I bought this thing I have been in the terminal constantly.
Maybe i should say the people from Raspberry, that they should make their interface totally different to windows to prevent such mistakes. :ultrahappy: :megagrin: Just kidding.

20 years ago, i switched from windows to linux and i too felt totally noob on the command line. I needed about a year, to get along fairly well.

Pinko
Last edited by Pinko on Tue Aug 08, 2023 6:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Author of the vape knigge. I have thought of you! is much better than "i have waited for you". :cool:
BrotSagtMist
Party member

Post by BrotSagtMist »

Also worth adding: This is not about linux.
This is about the distro.
Two for the user complete identical looking OSes could be either based on linux or not. Impossible to say.
Linux is just a tiny core part of your distro, the destro defines your OS as a whole, not the kernel.
If you run a BSD system you probably could not tell the difference.
Likewise, your phone is probably running linux and it does look nothing like what your pi runs, right?
obey