Procedural map generation

Questions about the LÖVE API, installing LÖVE and other support related questions go here.
Forum rules
Before you make a thread asking for help, read this.
BrotSagtMist
Party member

Re: Procedural map generation

Post by BrotSagtMist »

Ive explained word by word how the mechanism works, all you need to do is turn this into code. Its doable in like 50 lines.
Yet you keep messing with flood fill and pathfinding, none of them are needed to make a map.

It is very hard to bend someone elses generating code so that it outputs a map that fits your exact needs.
Either bend your game or code what i have said.
obey
fridays18
Citizen

Post by fridays18 »

BrotSagtMist wrote: Thu Dec 15, 2022 4:39 pm Ive explained word by word how the mechanism works, all you need to do is turn this into code. Its doable in like 50 lines.
Yet you keep messing with flood fill and pathfinding, none of them are needed to make a map.

It is very hard to bend someone elses generating code so that it outputs a map that fits your exact needs.
Either bend your game or code what i have said.
Yeah my apologies im not new but ive far from being able to just convert the things youve said into code, I can fully understand the tasks your telling me will fix the program and I believe they would for sure work but I cant really fully grasp it yet in my current stage of love2d knowledge which is why ive tried branching around to see if theres other possible ways that could me more accommodating to implement A but also to change later B, youve been a big help and a ton of other people would have gained a lot from your words but im just simply not knowledgeable enough on love2d to use the help youve been providing. Im not trying to blatantly ignore you I just cant convert the things you say into code since its above my knowledge :)
Gunroar:Cannon()
Party member

Post by Gunroar:Cannon() »

fridays18 wrote: Tue Dec 13, 2022 2:57 pm Does anyone know of any libraries or tutorials that could help me out?
The lib:
rotLove
The risk I took was calculated,
but man, am I bad at math.

-How to be saved and born again :huh:
fridays18
Citizen

Post by fridays18 »

Gunroar:Cannon() wrote: Fri Dec 16, 2022 1:03 pm
fridays18 wrote: Tue Dec 13, 2022 2:57 pm Does anyone know of any libraries or tutorials that could help me out?
The lib:
rotLove
Ill check it out ty!
darkfrei
Party member

Post by darkfrei »

Can you create the map filled with rectangles?
2022-12-17T01_28_59-Untitled.png
2022-12-17T01_28_59-Untitled.png (26.26 KiB) Viewed 1913 times
:awesome: in Lua we Löve
:awesome: Platformer Guide
:awesome: freebies
Gunroar:Cannon()
Party member

Post by Gunroar:Cannon() »

But for real rotLove has everything. Makes things easy...maybe too easy. As in, if you use that library and you did all of this to learn about procgen you probably won't learn anything. :crazy:
Though I also like to do my own pass over the map rot generates by messing with the rooms and tunnels.
darkfrei wrote: Sat Dec 17, 2022 12:32 am Can you create the map filled with rectangles?

That's kind of one of the techniques to create a dungeon :awesome:
The risk I took was calculated,
but man, am I bad at math.

-How to be saved and born again :huh:
fridays18
Citizen

Post by fridays18 »

Gunroar:Cannon() wrote: Sat Dec 17, 2022 8:26 am But for real rotLove has everything. Makes things easy...maybe too easy. As in, if you use that library and you did all of this to learn about procgen you probably won't learn anything. :crazy:
Though I also like to do my own pass over the map rot generates by messing with the rooms and tunnels.
darkfrei wrote: Sat Dec 17, 2022 12:32 am Can you create the map filled with rectangles?

That's kind of one of the techniques to create a dungeon :awesome:
Would you happen to know any tutorials or areas to learn about how to use it since the docs are kinda just a command dump?
fridays18
Citizen

Post by fridays18 »

I would make a rectangle class that would have a random width and height and then make a second at 1st x + width till it hits a certain point where if new rectangle width > screen x then rectangle width = rectangle width - screenx
fridays18
Citizen

Post by fridays18 »

I would make a rectangle class that would have a random width and height and then make a second at 1st x + width till it hits a certain point where if new rectangle width > screen x then rectangle width = rectangle width - screenx
darkfrei
Party member

Post by darkfrei »

fridays18 wrote: Sat Dec 17, 2022 9:22 pm

Why not random x and y with random w and h?
:awesome: in Lua we Löve
:awesome: Platformer Guide
:awesome: freebies