Hello all

General discussion about LÖVE, Lua, game development, puns, and unicorns.
Dr_shenanigans
Prole

Hello all

Post by Dr_shenanigans »

hello all, name's Dr. Shenanigans (doc is fine), I've been looking freaking all over for a good game development framework/engine/...whatever, for game making, but I found love and it struck a chord with me :3 - something said that this would be my game development platform.

unfortunately I seem to have the total reverse of the problem that most programmers have.

I can draw.
I can do tunes

I can't code. :cry: well not really, I can, but everything I know is from either tutorials or hasn't really felt like it "taught" me anything. my main problem is that figuratively speaking I know what a stick is, I know what a cog is, I know what a piston is, I know what the fuel is, I just don't know how to build an engine and it's what threw me away from most of the shenanigans i've used to go with.

but i digress, I want to work with lua, and I want to learn how to make proper games with LÖVE!
tentus
Inner party member

Re: Hello all

Post by tentus »

Hey, welcome to Love!

Do you happen to know what your preferred leaning style is? A lot of people will say "this is the best place to start learning", but in my experience different methods work better for different people. In your case, maybe you need to see someone take an engine apart, rather than being shown the cogs and pistons are. I learn best by creating variations, some people learn best by reinventing the wheel, other people need to ask a bunch of questions. Whatever works!
Kurosuke needs beta testers
Robin
The Omniscient

Post by Robin »

And whenever you have a question about Lua or LÖVE, there is probably a small army stand-by on this forum to help you out. ;)

Welcome, btw! :)
Help us help you: attach a .love.
Ryne
Party member

Post by Ryne »

Dr_shenanigans wrote: I can draw.
I can do tunes
I would advise you to go for it. I was in the same boat as you - 0 programming experience (aside from web-based), but I could do art. The LOVE framework is really easy to work with. If you haven't worked with a framework before, heres a little run down:

-- It's not a game engine, you need to learn Lua.
-- It would benefit you to learn some Lua before starting, though you can use Love to test any of your code.
-- Being a framework, it handles graphics/audio, I look at it like a completed game that doesn't know what to do. So It's up to you to tell it what to do.

I would advise you to take a look at the second post in this thread:
http://love2d.org/forums/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=2219

I explained it before, and am too lazy to explain it again. Good luck, and have fun with LOVE!
Last edited by Ryne on Thu Jan 06, 2011 10:00 pm, edited 3 times in total.
@rynesaur
tentus
Inner party member

Post by tentus »

That's slightly misleading Ryne: print() still works pretty much the same, it prints text to the console (not to be confused with the screen). I use print all the time for debugging purposes. Love just has a built in function called love.graphics.print, which prints graphics to the love window.
Ryne
Party member

Post by Ryne »

tentus wrote:That's slightly misleading Ryne: print() still works pretty much the same, it prints text to the console (not to be confused with the screen). I use print all the time for debugging purposes. Love just has a built in function called love.graphics.print, which prints graphics to the love window.
Ahh, I see. I fixed my post to comply! :)
@rynesaur
tentus
Inner party member

Post by tentus »

I... don't know how to edit my post into a form that makes contextual sense now. :shock: I guess I'll just leave it, and let people learn the extra tidbit randomly?

The more you know!
Dr_shenanigans
Prole

Post by Dr_shenanigans »

thanks guys, I find I learn best by experimenting with things and shenanigans, like with music (I use LMMS, read some instructions on how to get going, and get going I did)

the problem is I can't make heads or tails of what the ASFWEBBGREBLE is going on.

I'll read through and try out some tutorials, and check the lua coding links, hopefully they'll help.

and just so you know the dream game of mine I want to work on, is a run & gun Contra/Metal slug/Gunstar heroes style game.
TechnoCat
Inner party member

Post by TechnoCat »

Dr_shenanigans wrote:and just so you know the dream game of mine I want to work on, is a run & gun Contra/Metal slug/Gunstar heroes style game.
That sounds both fun and feasible. And just a reminder, the #love irc channel on Freenode is ready to help you on a personal level almost 24/7.
Dr_shenanigans
Prole

Post by Dr_shenanigans »

TechnoCat wrote:That sounds both fun and feasible. And just a reminder, the #love irc channel on Freenode is ready to help you on a personal level almost 24/7.
ah, cool, thanks.

and just in case, I already heard about the horrors of using love.physics in a game that didn't really need it. mine does not need it so I won't use it.