Bluetooth and local multiplayer

Questions about the LÖVE API, installing LÖVE and other support related questions go here.
Forum rules
Before you make a thread asking for help, read this.
PiFace
Prole

Bluetooth and local multiplayer

Post by PiFace »

Is there any existing support in LÖVE or Lua in general, to access the bluetooth features of a device? I was wondering if I could make a game in love for android and use bluetooth as a way to create a local multiplayer experience. Or, if there is nothing like that using bluetooth, what are other good ways to achieve this?

I've done some searching here on the forums but I couldn't find anything about it...
Any help would be appreciated :awesome:
greboide
Prole

Re: Bluetooth and local multiplayer

Post by greboide »

i dont thing bluetooth is suitable, much better to rely on a local server on the same wifi as it is virtually the same for both local and remote network just different network configurations...
raidho36
Party member

Post by raidho36 »

Ah it takes me back. The times where the only way to get multiplayer on a phone was to use Bluetooth. It was glitchy as all hell, and very few games supported it and they were all garbage, and of course you needed a buddy who got nothing better to do.

So yeah just spare yourself a trouble and make a normal network connection.
fairenough
Prole

Post by fairenough »

Spaceteam uses bluetooth or local wifi (it's not made with LOVE, but just as an example).

I think local wifi may be the way to go anyway.

(Also Spaceteam is amazing and everyone should play it. Great at parties!)