A Few Questions on Love and Lua

General discussion about LÖVE, Lua, game development, puns, and unicorns.
NykolaR
Prole

Re: A Few Questions on Love and Lua

Post by NykolaR »

I'll take a look at babelua, but probably wont use it tremendously often (because I won't be switching to VS any time soon). Could definitely be handy in certain situations though.

Relative to the thread in general, I've developed a class that's mostly helping out with what I wanted (finding bottlenecks, memory/performance tracking, ...) through a documenting class with some basic logging functions. Lots of thanks to Zorg for pointing out the analysis tools love has that I overlooked!

If I ever actually clean it up and make it generally useful, I'll put the files in the tools and library section! (right now it's pretty barebones and not super helpful)
SiENcE
Party member

Post by SiENcE »

@paulclinger Sorry when i said "stable" in this topic. I meant it more as development process, that debugging is fully independend from the project source code, because it's fully integrated into the Development Environment.

I used "ZeroBrane Sudio" for a couple of smaller projects and sometimes it happend that the debugger does not stop at my breakpoints. I'm not sure why this happened, because i was not researching it. Also i had problems by continuing the session after a break. From time to time hit hangs and i had to restart the whole session.

But all this is based on an older version of zerobrane. So all people should try thierself and find thier own development environment :).

@paulclinger: If you really want to enhance Zerobrane (i like it because it's so great customizable) you should take a look at Atom Editor with "love-ide" plugin and BabeLua for thier features like "object-oriented model support" aso.

I would love to have debug integration into Atom. Just because it's my one and only Editor for all. I'll never switch to soemthing else in near future.
Zireael wrote:Babelua looks like a VS addon, though. How is the performance while debugging (since VS is a memory hog?)
Memory is a problem for you nowadays?!? I mean...how large can a lua project be?
Zireael
Party member

Post by Zireael »

Memory is a problem for you nowadays?!? I mean...how large can a lua project be?

I didn't say Lua project is a problem, I said Visual Studio itself. It gobs up 5 GB of RAM quickly.
Positive07
Party member

Post by Positive07 »

I think you are confusing something, Visual Studio does not consume that much memory, it's pretty lightweight nowadays, pretty much the same as Atom. It does consume a lot when working with some Forms and visual editting, and compilation and stuff... but I haven't yet found it's consumption to get really hard... not even 2GB so I think you are exagerating and you should try it.

I'm also an Atom user, it's really great and I have Lua addons that let me do almost everything. I'll probably make a debugger plugin sometime soon...
for i, person in ipairs(everybody) do
[tab]if not person.obey then person:setObey(true) end
end
love.system.openURL(github.com/pablomayobre)
Zireael
Party member

Post by Zireael »

I've been using Visual Studio for a Unreal Engine 4 project so I know how much it consumes. The version's 2015 if it matters.
raidho36
Party member

Post by raidho36 »

Maximum amount of memory LuaJIT handles is 2 GB or thereabouts. Then it crashes. I think only Lua objects count towards this tally, so internal data for textures, sounds, etc. does not. It's a lot of room but as it has always been the case, hitting the ceiling is really easy if you don't manage resources properly.
Positive07
Party member

Post by Positive07 »

Zireael wrote: Fri Feb 10, 2017 9:10 am I've been using Visual Studio for a Unreal Engine 4 project so I know how much it consumes. The version's 2015 if it matters.
I think that is because of Unreal? I haven't come across this compiling C++ projects and I have also opened some HTML/CSS/JS files to test with no additional consumption, same with some Lua files... I have Unity installed but I haven't used it yet
for i, person in ipairs(everybody) do
[tab]if not person.obey then person:setObey(true) end
end
love.system.openURL(github.com/pablomayobre)