New to love not to lua, how to start?

General discussion about LÖVE, Lua, game development, puns, and unicorns.
matjojo
Prole

New to love not to lua, how to start?

Post by matjojo »

Hi all,

Like the title says, I'm new to Love, but have done some things in Lua before. I followed the install instructions on the wiki, followed getting started, and set up my Sublime Text-3 version to work with all the things that the getting started page said, it now builds on CTRL-b, and can autocomplete using Love code. Until this part the tutorials were very helpful, but after those it got a bit less helpful. I read up on the callback functions, and played around a bit with them, seeing what I could do with the different events. After this I still didn't really get how I could use Love, so I went ahead to the tutorials page but did not really found what I needed. The page tells me that it itself is broken, and I can't really seem to find the beginner tutorials.

That brings me to my questions:
How do I start?
Are there things on this forum that I should read, or do?

Thanks, matjojo
raidho36
Party member

Re: New to love not to lua, how to start?

Post by raidho36 »

Try making a pong game. In the process you'll find you need answers for specific questions, which you are then welcome to ask.
Sheepolution
Party member

Post by Sheepolution »

When you scroll to the bottom of the tutorials page you can see external tutorials and video tutorials, some of these explain how to start. I have a tutorial series myself.
ken.athomos
Citizen

Post by ken.athomos »

If it is okay with you, I would to redirect you to this thread.

Hope some of the stuff we have said in that thread helps :)
matjojo
Prole

Post by matjojo »

Thanks guys, I've found my way to the external tutorials, and followed the OSM one, now reading through the ones made by sheepolution \0/. That indeed gives me a better idea for how Love works. I'll be doing what raidho36 said and try to make a little game to get some more of a feel with the system.
Beelz
Party member

Post by Beelz »

Just keep in mind, things may be a hair off in the tutorials... Although LOVE 0.10 has been out for what, a year or so, a lot of tutorials were written for older versions. Usually just subtle things, depreciated functions, etc. I know Sheepolution's are current, and a few others but I haven't honestly spent a ton of time reading up on them.

Code: Select all

if self:hasBeer() then self:drink()
else self:getBeer() end
GitHub -- Website
xNick1
Party member

Post by xNick1 »

Sheepolution wrote:When you scroll to the bottom of the tutorials page you can see external tutorials and video tutorials, some of these explain how to start. I have a tutorial series myself.
I recommend his tutorials, they're great for beginners :D