Playing videos in Love2D

Questions about the LÖVE API, installing LÖVE and other support related questions go here.
Forum rules
Before you make a thread asking for help, read this.
JohnnyC
Prole

Playing videos in Love2D

Post by JohnnyC »

How resource intensive would it be to have the background of a SHMUP be a video?
For example Giga Wing 2 (because it is one of my favorite shmups) has a really nice 3d background during the stage.
https://youtu.be/xEMG0TUIzg0?t=1m19s
Would I be able to create a video background and have it play behind my screen play area without too much hassle?
raidho36
Party member

Re: Playing videos in Love2D

Post by raidho36 »

The framework can playback videos and they are drawable objects, so in terms of hassle it should be as easy as drawing static background. Not sure about performance though, it could be a problem especially for high definition and high frame rate videos.
zorg
Party member

Post by zorg »

I would be more concerned with syncing up the background video and the foreground stuff, since i am assuming that that would not be a non-issue.
Me and my stuff :3True Neutral Aspirant. Why, yes, i do indeed enjoy sarcastically correcting others when they make the most blatant of spelling mistakes. No bullying or trolling the innocent tho.
raidho36
Party member

Post by raidho36 »

If it's just cool animated backdrop, there's no need to sync anything, it's only supposed to roll in background, not doing fancy stuff.
JohnnyC
Prole

Post by JohnnyC »

Yeah as long as the video backdrop isn't like off by 10 seconds it should be fine. I'll try it in the near future once I fix this issue I'm having.
slime
Solid Snayke

Post by slime »

JohnnyC wrote:How resource intensive would it be to have the background of a SHMUP be a video?
It really depends on the resolution of the video and its framerate. Ogg Theora (what LOVE uses as a video format currently) is not particularly efficient to decode compared to proprietary alternatives, but it should be fine if you test it and tweak size or framerate if needed.