Feedback request: working on a rendering library

Showcase your libraries, tools and other projects that help your fellow love users.
Plu
Inner party member

Feedback request: working on a rendering library

Post by Plu »

Hi guys.

I'm working on a library for rendering stuff to the screen. It's still in development and I wouldn't say it's usable yet. There are still some errors and quirks I need to fix and some behavior I need to implement.

However, it's far enough done that I can use it to make some samples, so I made a stub for an RTS-game. I would appreciate it if some people could have a look and give me some feedback on the way you build with the library. The whole sample is attached as a .love, I'm mostly interested in feedback on the parts outside the "renderer" folder, as those are the kind of things you would write when building a game with the library.

I've added a bunch of comments to try and explain what's going on, but if it's unclear please do ask and I'll try and clarify. Proper documentation is high on my list of important stuff, but to write it, I'll first need to know which parts of this are hard to grasp ;)
Attachments
rts-sample.love
(46.35 KiB) Downloaded 106 times
Sulunia
Party member

Re: Feedback request: working on a rendering library

Post by Sulunia »

So... it looks more like a GUI library than a rendering library.. I could be mistaken though.
Don't check my github! It contains thousands of lines of spaghetti code in many different languages cool software! :neko:
https://github.com/Sulunia
Plu
Inner party member

Post by Plu »

Hm. Am I using the wrong word? It's not really meant as a traditional GUI system, although maybe that would still be a better term for it. I'm just building it to draw stuff on the screen. The core isn't going to include traditional GUI elements like input fields and sliders, nor will it have things like click-handlers, because many games don't need those things. (You can still implement them and I'll probably add some quick modules to enable it IF you need it)

Really I started on this because I found most of the visual libraries and samples heavily geared towards "build a traditional form" when most games hardly use that kind of thing at all. This one is made more to quickly allow developers to build up their own types of reusable view-elements and to build components the way you would see them in many games.

What did you expect when I called it "a rendering library"?
s-ol
Party member

Post by s-ol »

I would call this a layouting or scene graph library I guess. Looks pretty interesting, I haven't used anything like it in gamedev (yet) but React.js seems relatively similar for web.

s-ol.nu /blog  -  p.s-ol.be /st8.lua  -  g.s-ol.be /gtglg /curcur

Code: Select all

print( type(love) )
if false then
  baby:hurt(me)
end