Creating a game company.

Show off your games, demos and other (playable) creations.
Murii
Party member

Re: Creating a game company.

Post by Murii »

I totaly agree with the rest of the community. No one will give you any money without a solid demo to test the game out. I know I would not, no offense.
steven777
Prole

Post by steven777 »

Update in 2 weeks from monday. Gameplay tech demmo. its a test map we use to test out game mechanics. Its not fully functional at the moment and we are trying to pin down the server issues.

So the first tech demmo is just a basic test of gravity, lighting, ships, particles, basic cherater movments and attacks.

As well as a current key bind map for the current test.
steven777
Prole

Post by steven777 »

please note this isnt my job to bring you guys this game. I have other things to do so Go to moddb if you want news and updates on the game. Tech video in about 2 weeks with just a verry basic concept. there will also be 2 articles posted on modb. one on Thursday of next week that outlies everything you can do in the game in full detail.

the other article is another Q and A sheet

please write all questions here and refer to the modb page for the answers.

If you think believe a question was answered in a way that does not reflect the question please contact us on moddb,fb, or email.

We check them every day, we want you to ask questions and be a part of it. No matter if you donate or not. The donations are just to get the people motivated. other than that it inst the most important thing to us. Whats important is the game and how people will enjoy it in the end. This is mostly for our schools. We really dot want the money sadly it cost money to operate the servers :/
steven777
Prole

Post by steven777 »

bartbes
Sex machine

Post by bartbes »

Please don't double-post, or triple-post.
Positive07
Party member

Post by Positive07 »

I would give money so that he can buy an English dictionary, I'm not a native english speaker, my home language is actually Spanish, yet I think people should know the language they are using to communicate otherwise it is difficult to understand and really hard to take it seriously. Also you are from the USA, you have 22 years, you should at least find this mistakes yourself, re-read what you have written and ask other people if they find mistakes.
steven777 wrote:I am current in college to get a degree in computer programming and game desgine. I wish to create a game right now, or in the near future. I currently have a server system which we are using to create a 2D mmorpg/space exploration title " GALAXY GATE" on Windows PC and mac.
This are actually little mistakes compared to everything you have written in your forum posts, yet this is not informal, this is your pledge! It should at least be well written.

Also that statement saying "now or in the near future" doesn't sound nice to anyone that would be throwing money at you, you know right? Even more when there are LOTS of Indie developers out there, most of them have one success in a hundred, and all of thems start prototypes and throw them away when they don't think they will win anything with them.

What happens with the money if you don't finish the game? Cause you can't say that is not a possibility, statistics completely fundament this. AND you have not developed any other games that can proves us you are suited for this HUGE task. We don't even know if you even have started with this, even if you have a crude prototype would you be able to finish it? Will you be able to maintain the servers? Do you really need 5K? What about your team? Is your artist any good? Many games nowadays feature great art! What about your music? Is it good? Catching? What about your mechanics? Your genre is a pretty standard one, there are lots of games like this, so, where will you improve it? What will be better? How is this "the best in gaming"?

Have you written multiplayer code? Have you tested your servers? 10 users at the same time? What about the multiplayer mechanics? Will you have like different rooms? How many players per room? Will it be fun if there is no one (cause you are an indie with not even a prototype so that means 0 or less fan base right now)?

Also asking the community to DEVELOP AN IDEA for your game, never ends well, if you try to fit everyone needs you'll get nothing done, plus, that also means you have nothing, so you need help from everyone, that is not how it works, there should be a solid idea, and your community should give feedback, even then most of the time you'll end up ignoring feedback either because it is too hard or because it doesn't suit your personal ideals, but this is fine this is the developer authority, if you ask the community to participate on the creation of the idea and that you'll do everything they say you have lost your authority, when you don't do what they want you will be criticized. It has happen before many times, you could even check the Community section of this forum where a similar problem arised

Just saying but this is too rushed, I told you before that you should start little otherwise I don't think you'll get very far, not with your game nor with your campaign.

Sorry to sound rude and all, it's just that I read this post and developers here are being TOO OPTIMISTIC! WAY TOO MUCH... It can be done, you can get 5K from your game but first, you must prove your point, show a portfolio with some minor games, have a good prototype, art, multiplayer barely working at or something that can be played without it, a good nice video with a nice soundtrack that will most probably be part of the game. Solid concept ideas would be great either through images or videos, they don't even need to be part of the demo. Showing nice assets is important, crappy pictures don't call the attention of people... This is call marketing and you are doing it all wrong, pitty won't serve you any good that I'm sure of.

I mean no offence, Good luck and keep on going! (at worst you will learn lots)
for i, person in ipairs(everybody) do
[tab]if not person.obey then person:setObey(true) end
end
love.system.openURL(github.com/pablomayobre)
ivan
Party member

Post by ivan »

I would slightly disagree with Positive07 - grammar and spelling are not that important as long as you have a cool game or a prototype to back up your campaign. My issue with this crowdfunding campaign is that there just isn't enough cool stuff about the game to warrant my interest. You have just one header image that looks like a shooter, but you want to make an RPG. You need more sophisticated art and a clearer direction (a gameplay video would be helpful too). Basically, you need to show more of the game in order to grab people's attention.
Another problem that nobody mentioned is money management. Managing money is hard, especially if you plan to hire other people to work on the game. One thing you could do is have a very clear breakdown as to how the money would be used (probably a good idea to include that in the campaign). While on the positive side, you want to explain what happens if you project raises MORE than the campaign goal.
Also don't get discouraged - making games is really hard! If you're just starting out, then chances are that your first few projects are going to be terrible (mine certainly were).
Sir_Silver
Party member

Post by Sir_Silver »

Has this game made any progress as far as development goes? I think a developer diary/log on progress would be a very interesting read.

Is this the first game you have ever made or have ever tried making? If not, I'd like to see some of your other works.