love video colors don't match original ogg

Questions about the LÖVE API, installing LÖVE and other support related questions go here.
Forum rules
Before you make a thread asking for help, read this.
vvrockerdox
Prole

love video colors don't match original ogg

Post by vvrockerdox »

I'm new to Love and have been able to get a basic app up and running. However, I have ran into my first issue that I need some guidance in how to debug (or solve).

I have a video which was created by using VLC to convert to ogg+theora. If I play back the ogg file in VLC, it looks correct. If I play it back in a love app (using love.graphics.newVideo, video:play, and love.graphics.draw), the colors are incorrect.

Here is VLC...
vlanvid.jpg
vlanvid.jpg (115.28 KiB) Viewed 2892 times
Here is my love app...
lovevid.jpg
lovevid.jpg (148.03 KiB) Viewed 2892 times
I was thinking it might have to do with color depth but I'm struggling to find information on color depth in Love.

So, I'm looking for the documetation that might help my understand color depths and/or why this is happening with my videos.

Thanks!
bartbes
Sex machine

Re: love video colors don't match original ogg

Post by bartbes »

Are you sure you don't just have a non-white colour set? In particular, I can see your last log text was red, roughly the same shade that seems to be applied to your video.
vvrockerdox
Prole

Post by vvrockerdox »

Thanks! Yes, if I setColor(255, 255, 255) prior to drawing the video looks like the original. I found that to be a bit confusing though. I don't understand why setColor would be applied to drawing the video. I also don't understand why white doesn't bleach out the video. I would have thought that I needed to somehow setColor to a completely transparent color?
Tanner
Party member

Post by Tanner »

vvrockerdox wrote:Thanks! Yes, if I setColor(255, 255, 255) prior to drawing the video looks like the original. I found that to be a bit confusing though. I don't understand why setColor would be applied to drawing the video. I also don't understand why white doesn't bleach out the video. I would have thought that I needed to somehow setColor to a completely transparent color?
It makes sense that white behaves that way if you consider the BlendMode Formulas and that fully opaque white is actually going to be 1, 1, 1, 1 (not 255, 255, 255, 255) when these formulae are evaluated. Multiplying your source texture colors by 1 won't change any of their color values.
vvrockerdox
Prole

Post by vvrockerdox »

Much appreciated! I get it now :)