Newbie looking tips on libraries

General discussion about LÖVE, Lua, game development, puns, and unicorns.
xopxe
Prole

Newbie looking tips on libraries

Post by xopxe »

Hi everyone. I'm new to Löve, this is my first dabble.

I'm writing an app that is not a game, but a remote control application for a toyish robot. I arrived to Löve looking for a environment to write a portable app for that (I pretend to run it at least on a desktop Linux and Android). It's more of an experimental thing, I don't care if its not pretty, but I'd like it to be as simple and hassle free to write as possible.

The control is done over wifi sending and receiving UDP packets, and I see that there is luasocket available so that's ok. I have to receive UDP packets asynchronously and display incoming stuff, how is the usual method for that in Löve? (threads?)

The app needs a basic GUI, with sliders, buttons, something akin to a joystick, etc. I only need basic controls and don't care about theming nor super extensibility nor animations. Multitouch will be needed, I suspect. I actually don't enjoy writing GUIs, the last one I wrote was using Swing for Java when it still was Sun's :) Looking through the libraries Gspöt seems a good candidate, but anyone has other ideas? Also, is there an example for an app like that, a basic GUI with a networking component?

Thanks in advance.
pgimeno
Party member

Re: Newbie looking tips on libraries

Post by pgimeno »

Gspöt doesn't have sliders. Maybe GÖÖi?