Lovely Tetromino

Show off your games, demos and other (playable) creations.
mr_happy
Citizen

Re: Lovely Tetromino

Post by mr_happy »

Code: Select all

local _, _, flags = love.window.getMode()
I wasn't familiar with that syntax; when I looked it up it does exactly what I'd expected, always a good sign when learning a new language.

Keep us updated on progress with Tetromino!
whitebear
Citizen

Post by whitebear »

Update 1.5 (5.4.2016):
-Changed art style to more simplistic.
-Individual blocks are now object oriented.
-Controller support.
-Multiple player support (they don't interact at this time but on my to-do list I have something planned.)
-Bit more special background.
-Music is defaulted off until I get some better music.
-Identity set to keep the high-score from previous versions. (it will reset on this one.)
-Down button now flushes the tile to bottom.
-No Longer plays in borderless window.

Download on first post.
This version was designed with retro pie in mind. Note if you are using controller I don't know what the button id's are. I am just using what mine has.
mr_happy
Citizen

Post by mr_happy »

Quick look:

Typo: F1/F2 for for keyboard players

Pieces start at the top of the screen, outside the frame

Don't understand the F1/F2 message - can only play by pressing F2 then tab

Nice background!
whitebear
Citizen

Post by whitebear »

F1 should add player with keypad controls and F2 should add player with WASD controls.
Them starting outside is intentional, The barrier at top indicates when the game ends. As long as no tiles are placed outside the barrier the game continues.
Typo was my bad. ^^
mr_happy
Citizen

Post by mr_happy »

whitebear wrote:F1 should add player with keypad controls and F2 should add player with WASD controls.
Them starting outside is intentional, The barrier at top indicates when the game ends. As long as no tiles are placed outside the barrier the game continues.
Typo was my bad. ^^
OK I see. Why not get rid of the top barrier line and put a 'full' marker either side (possibly not explaining that very well!) - it looks a bit wrong having the piece cross that line at the top.

Do you plan to add a falling animation so the piece descends rapidly (during which input is discarded) when the down key is pressed, rather than it appearing instantly at the bottom? I just thought of a feature you could add - a 'ghost' of the piece in its descended position that shows what will happen if you press 'down' - it would obviate the need for a falling animation.

Probably needs some logic to prevent holding a rotate key, which makes pieces spin (and possibly slows their descent a little???)

Other than that - it's pretty damn fine!
whitebear
Citizen

Post by whitebear »

mr_happy wrote:Do you plan to add a falling animation so the piece descends rapidly (during which input is discarded) when the down key is pressed, rather than it appearing instantly at the bottom? I just thought of a feature you could add - a 'ghost' of the piece in its descended position that shows what will happen if you press 'down' - it would obviate the need for a falling animation.
Those are good ideas. I think having 'ghost' is better because falling animation might change the phasing of the game too slow. Though I think 'ghost' might feel like cheating on almost empty board.

v1.6 at first post.
Update Notes:
-Background and Tile graphics Updated.
-Some alignment fixes for texts.
-Fixed: Game Speed not being reset after restart.
-Fixed: Music
-Added: Indicator line where you lose the game.
-Disabled: Key Repeat (holding keyboard buttons)
mr_happy
Citizen

Post by mr_happy »

Getting there now :D

Ever seen Tetripz from the mid-1990s?
whitebear
Citizen

Post by whitebear »

Ye, That is crazy game. Hopefully mine causes less seizures.
No update release this time, but android build is pretty much done. I've assigned the game grid into canvas so game does less draw calls. Should improve the performance a lot.