Game Development for Complete Beginners

General discussion about LÖVE, Lua, game development, puns, and unicorns.
PhaserFast
Prole

Re: Game Development for Complete Beginners

Post by PhaserFast »

S0lll0s wrote:
PhaserFast wrote:
Yeah, Javascript is called JavaScript too. /s.

Please.
The part I noted on the side is what you took away from my post and the YouTube discussion? Nice. If you really wanna do thia:
There is a difference between calling Lua "LUA" and JavaScript "Javascript". The latter is a misspelling. Lua is not called " LUA" because it is not an acronym (like JS is). Saying "LUA" implies it stands for something like "Language Usually Awesome" when it does not. It is a tiny difference and I don't care about it, which is why I said some people make a big deal about it, because I've seen people do that.

Now what exactly is your goal coming here? I doubt you are coming here to accustom yourself with Lua or LÖVE. Noone actually meant to insult you or JS, we were just refuting your arguments against Lua. I know JS and Lua, and did several projects with both, and I will continue to do that. If you don't like Lua, or you prefer JS so strongly for some reason, than that's fine. I would recommend you to watch a Construct.js tutorial instead of wasting your time trolling a LÖVE video's YouTube comments though.
No. I'm not wasting anyone's time or mine. And Construct is cancer to the Javascript community. Their flow charge is even worse than Lumberyard's, which Serapth did a video a couple days ago. Plus, can you imagine coding a game that has thousand's of events, and then having to edit them within Construct through the UI? It's a total disaster. I don't even like Construct and not sure why you would even bring that up, but nonetheless to your point:

I am here because of two things, first I am contemplating to give Lua more time (There, I pronounced and spelled it correctly for you), a try. And second, because I have every right to stand up for Javascript and how Serapth, and other's continue to put down the language. It's disrespectful to me, Richard Davey, Douglas Crockford, and beyond.

They always use the argument of 'Oh, Javascript has its weaknesses, and so does Lua, etc etc blah blah both are great languages'. When that is not the case whatsoever. Javascript HAS clear advantages over Lua.

Also, it's sad because Serapth cannot even say or acknowledge this without the fear of being shunned by the stigma that 'Javascript is the worst language ever', when in reality with ES6, 7, WebGL, node and beyond... this is just the beginning.

Edit: Oh, and electron.
Last edited by PhaserFast on Thu Feb 11, 2016 9:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Nixola
Inner party member

Post by Nixola »

PhaserFast wrote:You think 'LUA' is some super duper language that has some type of superiority over Javascript. It's laughable.
PhaserFast wrote:They always use the argument of 'Oh, Javascript has its weaknesses, and so does Lua, etc etc blah blah both are great languages'. When that is not the case whatsoever. Javascript HAS clear advantages over Lua.
So far you're the only one who put a language down saying one is better, and you didn't even motivate your claim.
lf = love.filesystem
ls = love.sound
la = love.audio
lp = love.physics
lt = love.thread
li = love.image
lg = love.graphics
PhaserFast
Prole

Post by PhaserFast »

Nixola wrote:
PhaserFast wrote:You think 'LUA' is some super duper language that has some type of superiority over Javascript. It's laughable.
PhaserFast wrote:They always use the argument of 'Oh, Javascript has its weaknesses, and so does Lua, etc etc blah blah both are great languages'. When that is not the case whatsoever. Javascript HAS clear advantages over Lua.
So far you're the only one who put a language down saying one is better, and you didn't even motivate your claim.
I can 'motivate' my claim by responding to your concern with one URL:

https://www.npmjs.com/
bartbes
Sex machine

Post by bartbes »

You've all had your fun bashing lua or javascript, now stop it and get back on topic.
Serapth
Prole

Post by Serapth »

Well... seems the language war has abated... so, after a brief break to kill as many braincells as possible in some tropical paradise, I just released another tutorial. This one covers the basics of Lua's tables. At this point the entire introduction to Lua/Programming bit is over, and it's time to finally start covering Love! Woot... There will be a few more Lua tutorials in the future no doubt, only covered the bare minimum on using tables, nothing about modular code, etc... but those can come later...

Anyways... the new tutorial
AC Vis
Prole

Post by AC Vis »

Thank you making and putting these out there! The next time a friend asks me how they can get into gameprogramming, I may send them your way :)
Serapth
Prole

Post by Serapth »

The Love portion has officially begun!

ivan
Party member

Post by ivan »

Love the tutorials, keep it up.
Serapth
Prole

Post by Serapth »

Perhaps not the sexiest subject every, but none the less an important one.

Foogles
Prole

Post by Foogles »

I had heard about LOVE2D before I saw your videos, but it was actually these that convinced me to start using it :)

Please keep them coming; the tip on using Zero Brain Studio was amazing.. I'm not sure if I would be coding in Love without it.