Post-0.10.0 feature wishlist

General discussion about LÖVE, Lua, game development, puns, and unicorns.
Ranguna259
Party member

Re: Post-0.10.0 feature wishlist

Post by Ranguna259 »

How about some for of cryptography ?
I mean, we can communicate with servers but we have no security whatsoever, how are we supposed to setup a secure connections ?
In an online game that requires account registration, how are we supposed to securely send over data ?

Maybe something like luacrypto.
LoveDebug- A library that will help you debug your game with an on-screen fully interactive lua console, you can even do code hotswapping :D

Check out my twitter.
slime
Solid Snayke

Post by slime »

HTTPS support is something I want added.
bartbes
Sex machine

Post by bartbes »

slime wrote:HTTPS support is something I want added.
I'd like to see TLS support.
Ranguna259 wrote: Maybe something like luacrypto.
I'd prefer luasec.
Ranguna259
Party member

Post by Ranguna259 »

slime wrote:HTTPS support is something I want added.
That's good to hear, and how are you planning on doing this, how will the API be structured ?
bartbes wrote:I'd prefer luasec.
luasec looks undocumented.. But if you manage to simplify it, that'd be great, it also looks like it doesn't give you direct access to the cryptography functions, instead all we need to do is set up the right protocol and password and pass the arguments to luasec and it establishes the connection but I'd prefer to have access to functions that generate key pairs and encryption functions like luacrypto's digital envelopes sheme where you setup a pair of keys and seal a packadge with the public key and open the packadge with the private key, tinkering with those functions would be awesome and it'd be something really good to have around.
LoveDebug- A library that will help you debug your game with an on-screen fully interactive lua console, you can even do code hotswapping :D

Check out my twitter.
slime
Solid Snayke

Post by slime »

Ranguna259 wrote:tinkering with those functions would be awesome and it'd be something really good to have around.
It sounds like something that's easy to mess up (make something not completely secure). In security you really don't want anything to mess up, which is why so many knowledgable people advocate for using established and higher level APIs and algorithms.

To me, it also seems easy to use the wrong tool for the job without realizing it, therefore also making things insecure while having the illusion of security.
monolifed
Party member

Post by monolifed »

spline support?
edit: nevermind it is already supported in a way
Last edited by monolifed on Sun Feb 14, 2016 10:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ranguna259
Party member

Post by Ranguna259 »

slime wrote:It sounds like something that's easy to mess up
That's the downside, hackers will exploit every single bit of security schemes and so it's a little complex to come up with something secure, but either way nothing is ever completely secure. That's the reason why https protocols exists, a group of people dedicate full time to developing security protocols so other people that don't have the time to do so, can use their work.
But either way, I'd love to mess with cryptography functions. Maybe you guys could integrate a way to establish secure connection with ease without the need to touch crypto function (encryption/decryption, public keys, chipher ...) but at the same time, lovers could have access to these functions.

Check out my twitter.
bobbyjones
Party member

Post by bobbyjones »

If luasec is being compiled into love wouldn't that mean that love would need a more rapid release cycle. For security updates.
slime
Solid Snayke

Post by slime »

Ranguna259 wrote: But either way, I'd love to mess with cryptography functions. Maybe you guys could integrate a way to establish secure connection with ease without the need to touch crypto function (encryption/decryption, public keys, chipher ...) but at the same time, lovers could have access to these functions.
Well, you can always use the FFI or third party Lua bindings if you really want to tinker.
Ranguna259
Party member

Post by Ranguna259 »

I don't want to tinker that much, but maybe I can bind luacrypto source to love through FFI, but it has dependencies though, so maybe I can't.

Check out my twitter.