What is your background?

General discussion about LÖVE, Lua, game development, puns, and unicorns.
Ortimh
Citizen

Re: What is your background?

Post by Ortimh »

I'm 14. I started my programming background at age 11-12. My first language is of course, Lua. I started to learn Lua when I was trying to make a mod for CS2D. I used Lua with no optimizations at all. Used others' code and mixed them together so I could get what I wanted to (I was learning though). Bored because always made mods, I started to make my own game. My first game engine that I used was Unity, still 3.4. Because I was really young and completely stupid, I didn't know how to make a game inside Unity. Then I tried all different game engines. Bored searching all different game engines, I downloaded multiple games in Steam. Played some games and finished just for couple months, I was bored again. Then again I started to make my own game. Was looking through Google all game engines available. Then I found Blender. "I can make my own 3D game!" said in my mind. You know, because I was completely a joke, I uninstalled Blender from my computer because it was so hard. Did the same thing again as before, bored and played some games. Wanted to make my own game again then I found XNA, and for the first time I met C#. Learned C# for couple months, and the only thing that I learned was variables initialization and basic maths. Suddenly my brain told me to stop making game, so I stopped. Did the same thing again as before. Then I was back on modding CS2D. Begun to understand Lua's capabilities. In a year I can understand most of Lua language. But I'm a person that really lacks of motivation so I stopped again from modding CS2D. The only language that I'm really familiar with is Lua, so I searched all Lua 2D game engines, then I found LOVE, my true LOVE. Increased my Lua skills with LOVE. Then suddenly stopped again because I heard C++ is the main language. All gaming companies are looking for people who know C++. Searched all C++ game engines then I found SFML. Some people said that if we already knew a programming language then learning other language is not really that hard. I want to slap the guy that said this. C++ is damn hard language but I already knew the basics and intermediates. Then suddenly stopped again because in my mind "people around the world should have phones in their hands so maybe I can make an Android game". This is where I met Java. I understand Java but lambda, synchronized and volatile are the things that I can't understand. After stupid but fun journey, I realized LOVE gives me more love. LOVE gives me more power. LOVE gives me more control. I started to make a game with LOVE and my Lua language skills increased significantly. Well I met all other languages, JavaScript, Python, HTML, etc. because of game engines but I just can't find love within them. My current game in LOVE is called Survivor.
Tchey
Prole

Re: What is your background?

Post by Tchey »

Hello,

I know nothing. More or less. I didn't do any computers or mathematics or logics related studies. I've simply played games since i was born 35 years ago, and my interest is growing day by day : how do they work, why is it like this and not that, what if i make one small to start and then maybe go bigger ?

I'm looking into a support to learn. I try some very basic tutorials from Superpowers HTML5, Python, RPGBoss, and now Love2D. I know how to write "hello world". That's a lot. Let see in a few months if i made any progress !