Main Page Game Spotlight

General discussion about LÖVE, Lua, game development, puns, and unicorns.
DeltaF1
Citizen

Main Page Game Spotlight

Post by DeltaF1 »

There are a few games on the main page, as examples of good games made in LOVE, but it seems like that list hasn't been updated in a while. It might be neat if the main page spotlit games made by rhe community. Lovers could post their games into the system, and it could rotate every day/week/month. The only problem would be curation, making sure that someone doesn't just spam PENIS into it. Any thoughts?
MadByte
Party member

Re: Main Page Game Spotlight

Post by MadByte »

I think its fine just the way it is at the moment. And it seems to get updated because "Move or Die" isn't that old. The problem I see with your idea is that there gonna be games submitted which doesn't really fit into there like unpolished, unfinished stuff. These games represent what can be archived using Love2D - so they are kinda like the reference in quality for games created with LÖVE. Another problem would be the time someone has to invest for filtering out games that doesn't match in here or even imagine someone filters out YOUR game... :x :x :joker:

But if everyone on the forums will start to create high quality, polished games of any kind - then your system would be great ;)
DeltaF1
Citizen

Post by DeltaF1 »

Yah, curating would probably be too much effort. Well, once AI is smart enough to play a game and tell if it's good or not, this can be a perfectly automated system :P
TheOdyssey
Citizen

Post by TheOdyssey »

MadByte wrote:The problem I see with your idea is that there gonna be games submitted which doesn't really fit into there like unpolished, unfinished stuff.

But if everyone on the forums will start to create high quality, polished games of any kind - then your system would be great ;)
I agree with this. But I really think having some kind of a spotlight system would encourage everyone to make more polished games. And that, in turn, would create more publicity for LÖVE.(More of a bonus)

If this is to work they'll need something like https://scratch.mit.edu/ has going on. If you go back and see the projects from 2009 you'll see a DRASTIC change in quality. Some of the games on Scratch are actually things I wouldn't mind sitting down and playing. So basically I think a community-run section should be added and it'll be based on most popular at the time. Alongside that will be the Admin/Developer picks that's updated less often. And maybe add a Hall of Fame type thing of the best LÖVE games out there so far. I personally think doing something like this would at least double the quality of some projects.