Neon Spectre – cyberpunk hacker roguelite

Show off your games, demos and other (playable) creations.
NuclearSailor
Prole

Re: Neon Spectre – cyberpunk hacker roguelite

Post by NuclearSailor »

Nirpick time.

- The tutorials are ordered bottom to top. A bit confusing when im one of the tards that chooses the highest most thing first.

- I know i drool from my mouth a little but that tutorial was a little bit more than lost me, it dropped me in the woods with the complete collection of Berenstain Bears and told me that's my survival kit.

- Right lets star- oh well i didn't know i was playing shadowrun. Fuck me let me call up my DM real quick i gotta figure out where my rulebook went right quick.

- My hardware vendor and hustler are the asame person, man my virtual self is alot better at hooking up the good stuff than i am. What's a brother gotta do for some good spice round these parts?

- Dammit whered i put my Fairlight Excalibur?

- What in the hell is [T]?

- Fuck the berenstain Bears, that tutorial gave me a dvd on how to survive the woods(as in im in the woods how the hell do i watch it). I need a bit more information that what it gave me.

- Alright after realizing that it does not infact give you unlimited, what i will call "Power points" Because i dont actually know if they're named anything, and losing one of my connections to blind fucking about, i figured out that i only know how to use one of the modules given to me, yet i have no idea how it works or why using it let me do what i wanted to do.

- What the hell do alerts do other than exist?

- It crashed. Oh hey you removed the x from the top right. wonderful. I used the debaser on a router with an exploit and i got the blue screen of lovliness we all know.

8/10 the tutorial could use a bit of work, less focus on the individual modules and more focus of how to play.

Now to go get coffee and wake up my nice half.
MZ|One
Citizen

Post by MZ|One »

Thanks, both! Great feedback. I know that the mechanics are not the simplest, but I hope that it will become easier to learn them once I rework the UI to provide more feedback in terms of what you can or cannot do and why.
qubodup wrote: Some subroutines say "break results in alert" I think. I'm not sure "break" applies to subroutines as well or if in that case it only applies to the node.
You breach the Routers, but break the subroutines. The text always explicitely says 'break a subroutine' to make it clearer.
NuclearSailor wrote: What in the hell is [T]?
The 'Power Points' are really called Tokens and that's what the '[T]' stands for. It's a placeholder until I have the tech to render icons within text descriptions; then I'll replace all '[T]'s with little hex 'Power Point' icons.
NuclearSailor wrote: What the hell do alerts do other than exist?
1/ Speed up Trace on the node by 50% each; 2/ You cannot run Subtle modules on alerted nodes.
NuclearSailor wrote: less focus on the individual modules and more focus of how to play.
Yeah, that's spot on. I want to rehaul the entire UI to make it all more pleasant to interact with. I wanted to iterate on the mechanics first, so that I would know better what exactly will the UI need to do.
Thanks so much! It's really helpful to see you play, and now I also have a video to show to people. I also really like maxstack's music that you used! And it's licenced under CC, so it seems I can even pack it into the release. I'll let him now.
NuclearSailor
Prole

Post by NuclearSailor »

Ah glad to be of service. Can and will be waiting for the next update.

Why not make a custom token character font thing and use that? I can help if you would like that.
MZ|One
Citizen

Post by MZ|One »

Yeah, that would be the easiest, except I don't really know how to work with fonts. I'll send you a PM; it'd be great if you could help.