[Solved] Too Many DLLS

General discussion about LÖVE, Lua, game development, puns, and unicorns.
NickRock
Citizen

[Solved] Too Many DLLS

Post by NickRock »

They're just too many for a small game.. Can't I just combine them all together or hide them? :death:
Last edited by NickRock on Wed Aug 12, 2015 7:28 am, edited 1 time in total.
Weeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeooow!!
zorg
Party member

Re: Too Many DLLS

Post by zorg »

You can set the files' attributes to hidden, on windows at least. (though some people prefer seeing even hidden and system files, can't help that)
Though i've seen very small games with more external libs than löve :o:
Me and my stuff :3True Neutral Aspirant. Why, yes, i do indeed enjoy sarcastically correcting others when they make the most blatant of spelling mistakes. No bullying or trolling the innocent tho.
NickRock
Citizen

Post by NickRock »

Can I at least put them on a separate folder?
Weeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeooow!!
zorg
Party member

Post by zorg »

My best guess is, you would need to compile löve from source, and specify that the dll-s are in a subfolder, though i haven't tested it.
Me and my stuff :3True Neutral Aspirant. Why, yes, i do indeed enjoy sarcastically correcting others when they make the most blatant of spelling mistakes. No bullying or trolling the innocent tho.
DhruvCollins
Prole

Post by DhruvCollins »

i have made another thread for this check at https://love2d.org/forums/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=80556
Last edited by DhruvCollins on Thu Sep 17, 2020 1:35 am, edited 2 times in total.
Ortimh
Citizen

Post by Ortimh »

I've uploaded the combined LOVE and the dependencies here.
T-Bone
Inner party member

Post by T-Bone »

Ortimh wrote:I've uploaded the combined LOVE and the dependencies here.
That sounds illegal. The .dll files are separated because their licenses require them to be replaceable unless everything is open source, IIRC.
Positive07
Party member

Post by Positive07 »

T-Bone wrote:
Ortimh wrote:I've uploaded the combined LOVE and the dependencies here.
That sounds illegal. The .dll files are separated because their licenses require them to be replaceable unless everything is open source, IIRC.
Well not illegal if the project is open source and users can get a way to "build" everything, as discussed here
for i, person in ipairs(everybody) do
[tab]if not person.obey then person:setObey(true) end
end
love.system.openURL(github.com/pablomayobre)
foo0
Prole

Post by foo0 »

Everything except OpenAL Soft and libmpg123 can be combined with almost no restrictions (license text must be included somewhere). libmpg123 is optional, you don't need it if you don't use mp3 files. Therefore, you can go down to one exe and one dll total, if that's aesthetically better for you.
slime
Solid Snayke

Post by slime »

foo0 wrote:Everything except OpenAL Soft and libmpg123 can be combined with almost no restrictions (license text must be included somewhere).
DevIL is also LGPL.

Microsoft generally recommends against statically linking the Visual C/C++ libraries.

In SDL2's case it's useful in practice to be able to swap out the SDL2.dll for a newer / different one with fixes or changes. Doing so has fixed issues for people numerous times already.

The Lua .dll provided with LÖVE is actually LuaJIT, and it too can be swapped out with an updated version (e.g. LuaJIT 2.1-alpha). It can also be swapped out with standard Lua 5.1.