What's everyone working on? (tigsource inspired)

General discussion about LÖVE, Lua, game development, puns, and unicorns.
MadByte
Party member

Re: What's everyone working on? (tigsource inspired)

Post by MadByte »

Its intended to be a puzzle platformer with some deadly traps basically. Currently Im adding all various entities I need to create some cool levels. I try to keep everything as polished as possible to be able to release some kind of demo soon(ish). I actually released a very unpolished and content lagging version two years ago.
BOT-Brad wrote:
MadByte wrote:-snip-
Wow, looks interesting!
Also, how did you make those animated gifs?
:awesome:
I recorded a lossless Video of the screenregion and used an online Video to GIF converter (bloggif i think) to create it :)
I couldn't find a working freeware tool to convert it unfurtunately :/
Nixola
Inner party member

Post by Nixola »

You could also use [wiki]love.graphics.newScreenshot[/wiki] to grab a screenshot every frame; then you can use ffmpeg to convert it from images to a single video or maybe even directly .gif file.

Code: Select all

local t = os.time() --take the time the program started, it'll be of course unique every run
local i = 1 --initialize this i variable
--do stuff
love.draw = function()
  --draw stuff
  lg.newScreenshot():encode(("cast/%d/%05d.png"):format(t, i)) --take a screenshot, save it in a folder with sequential file names
  i = i + 1
end
lf = love.filesystem
ls = love.sound
la = love.audio
lp = love.physics
lt = love.thread
li = love.image
lg = love.graphics
I~=Spam
Party member

Post by I~=Spam »

Nixola wrote:You could also use [wiki]love.graphics.newScreenshot[/wiki] to grab a screenshot every frame; then you can use ffmpeg to convert it from images to a single video or maybe even directly .gif file.

local t = os.time() --take the time the program started, it'll be of course unique every run
--do stuff
love.draw = function()
  --draw stuff
  lg.newScreenshot():encode(("cast/%d/%05d.png"):format(t, i)) --take a screenshot, save it in a folder with sequential file names
  i = i + 1
end
I am not sure about this but doing that every frame has the potential to be very slow...
My Tox ID: 0F1FB9170B94694A90FBCF6C4DDBDB9F58A9E4CDD0B4267E50BF9CDD62A0F947E376C5482610
BOT-Brad
Citizen

Post by BOT-Brad »

I~=Spam wrote:
Nixola wrote:You could also use [wiki]love.graphics.newScreenshot[/wiki] to grab a screenshot every frame; then you can use ffmpeg to convert it from images to a single video or maybe even directly .gif file.

--do stuff
love.draw = function()
  --draw stuff
  i = i + 1
end
I am not sure about this but doing that every frame has the potential to be very slow...
Yep, I just tried it and I was getting just 1 FPS :rofl:.
Follow me on GitHub! | Send me a friend request on PSN!
Nixola
Inner party member

Post by Nixola »

If you've got a fairly nice pc and don't want to download any screencasting software you can do that; it's also a trick I use to generate animations in LÖVE
lf = love.filesystem
ls = love.sound
la = love.audio
lp = love.physics
lt = love.thread
li = love.image
lg = love.graphics
BOT-Brad
Citizen

Post by BOT-Brad »

Another screen. Now have a little 'notice' system that pops up bottom-right (or wherever you set in the skin file). Will likely be used for screenshots notice (like below), achievements and other important info.

Nixola wrote:If you've got a fairly nice pc and don't want to download any screencasting software you can do that; it's also a trick I use to generate animations in LÖVE
Yeah, it actually runs at a reasonable framerate (20 FPS-ish) if I use .jpg instead of .png.
Nixola
Inner party member

Post by Nixola »

If you need much much speed, you could use .bmp? .tga is available as well but I don't know anything about it
lf = love.filesystem
ls = love.sound
la = love.audio
lp = love.physics
lt = love.thread
li = love.image
lg = love.graphics
BOT-Brad
Citizen

Post by BOT-Brad »

Nixola wrote:If you need much much speed, you could use .bmp? .tga is available as well but I don't know anything about it
Problem with .bmp is it produces HUGE file-sizes and quickly starts gobbling up my HDD space. Each 1920x1080 image hits around 7MB. If it halts my FPS to around 30 FPS (which it does), thats 210MB a SECOND!*

*I think...

(.tga must be similar to .bmp, it produces exactly the same file-size as .bmp at least)
s-ol
Party member

Post by s-ol »

BOT-Brad wrote:
Nixola wrote:If you need much much speed, you could use .bmp? .tga is available as well but I don't know anything about it
Problem with .bmp is it produces HUGE file-sizes and quickly starts gobbling up my HDD space. Each 1920x1080 image hits around 7MB. If it halts my FPS to around 30 FPS (which it does), thats 210MB a SECOND!*

*I think...

(.tga must be similar to .bmp, it produces exactly the same file-size as .bmp at least)
Both are uncompressed / bitmap data formats.

s-ol.nu /blog  -  p.s-ol.be /st8.lua  -  g.s-ol.be /gtglg /curcur

print( type(love) )
if false then
  baby:hurt(me)
end
I~=Spam
Party member

Post by I~=Spam »

210 MB a second... hmmm I have a hard drive at 5200rpm I don't even think that it can sequentially write data fast enough. A SSD might be able to do it but they are pretty slow at writing sequentially (very fast at reading though). So unless a ramdisk is used it doesn't seem reasonable to do that...
My Tox ID: 0F1FB9170B94694A90FBCF6C4DDBDB9F58A9E4CDD0B4267E50BF9CDD62A0F947E376C5482610