So, how's that Bump-based platformer coming along, Jasoco?

Showcase your libraries, tools and other projects that help your fellow love users.
SiENcE
Party member

Re: So, how's that Bump-based platformer coming along, Jasoc

Post by SiENcE »

I don't have a story or anything of course. I never do. I'm not good with the front end aspects of most game design. I could never really come up with a good story. But would probably just throw together something generic and sprinkle in other aspects and plot twists. My real problem would be creating sprites. I can easily make tiles, but drawing enemies and the player and other characters is near impossible for me. I've never really had that ability. I figure if I can create an engine and story I can find someone willing to do the sprite work once stuff is in place. You can't make the sprites until you know how big they need to be and what actions you'll need.
Basically I had the same problems. I'm a coder and i can do engine, mechanics and solve technical problems. I don't feel right when doign art or story. I can do basic art and sound, but not that I feel great with the results. Galdly i found my company partner marco how does design, story and artwork.

I suggest you to find one. It's so important to have another person who pushes you back on track and that you push the other person back on track. Also for motivation :).

If you do a gameplatform rather than a platform game, go and release early and enhance it over time. Just make it possible that users can update thier already done levels automatically. I would also integrate everything directly into the game. Creation, Distribution/Sharing, Rating and the Gameengine itself together with 2 or 3 sampel projects. Maybe like LittleBigPlanet or Makio Maker or Mari0. An more visible way would be todo Distribution/Sharing via a website and with special Links that link directly to you game. So people can create new levels in you game and share it over a website. There they search new levels and when they click onto a link, your running game grabs the link from browser (like unity assets) and downloads it. This way you have a used website that is filled by users and it has visibility. Like a löve sandbox platform :crazy: .
SiENcE
Party member

Re: So, how's that Bump-based platformer coming along, Jasoc

Post by SiENcE »

quads = {imageLibrary.iceQuad[1], imageLibrary.iceQuad[2], imageLibrary.iceQuad[3], imageLibrary.iceQuad[4], imageLibrary.iceQuad[5], imageLibrary.iceQuad[6], imageLibrary.iceQuad[7], imageLibrary.iceQuad[8], imageLibrary.iceQuad[9], imageLibrary.iceQuad[10], imageLibrary.iceQuad[11]},
As i see you quads thing....what about using my quads solution from my gametemplate?

I also added an export script for the TextureAtlas Tool shoebox.

Take a look at and you will find it usefull.
You don't have to think again about single files, just add a file or an atlas as ressource.

You may ask, why I did it this way? It's because during development it's easier to work with sprites in single files, instead of assembling an texture atlas every time. You also don't want to care of what to put in this or that atlas. Thats why I wrote this abstraction, to easily use single sprite in single files during development and later put everything into one or two texture-atlas and use them without changing one line of code :).