My Adventure Game Engine - Making Way For Adventure Engine 2

Showcase your libraries, tools and other projects that help your fellow love users.
kikito
Inner party member

Re: My Adventure Game Engine - GIT is hard. Need help please

Post by kikito »

The "permission denied" thing seems to indicate that you must change your file's permission so it is "executable". No idea of how to do it on a mac, but you should be able to right-click it and then see an option called "permissions" or something similar.

"origin" is a name for "the github server". When you set up your project, you associated that name to it on this line:

Code: Select all

git remote add origin git@github.com:Jasoco/LOVE-Adventure-Game-Engine.git
"master" is the name of the default branch. Branches allow you to have different "versions" of the code in parallel. They are usually used for beta/unfinished features. In your case they are of limited use, since you are a one-man-team. I guess you could have a "beta" branch separated from "master". This way, you would be able to continue working on unfinished features without breaking the game to the rest.

So git push origin master translates to "push the master branch to github". I didn't know that git push worked.
When I write def I mean function.
nevon
Commander of the Circuloids

Post by nevon »

kikito wrote:No idea of how to do it on a mac, but you should be able to right-click it and then see an option called "permissions" or something similar.
I guess chmod u+x script.sh should work.
Robin
The Omniscient

Post by Robin »

kikito wrote:I didn't know that git push worked.
It depends on the settings what git push does by itself. The default is to print out a warning that you really should change the settings to what you prefer and then update every branch on every remote.
Help us help you: attach a .love.
Angrycrow
Prole

Post by Angrycrow »

Jasoco this is a really cool project! I dig the classic pace of everything.

I've only skimmed through the top and tail of this thread. Have you tried a subversion client like tortoiseSVN for version handling and committing file changes? I use it for work . I don't know what platform your on. But in windows it's a one click commit solution.

http://tortoisesvn.tigris.org/

--pardon me if I'm off page. :megagrin:
I like nonsense, it wakes up the brain cells. Fantasy is a necessary ingredient in living, It's a way of looking at life through the wrong end of a telescope. Which is what I do, And that enables you to laugh at life's realities.
- Dr. Seuss
Robin
The Omniscient

Post by Robin »

No Subversion, please. SVN kills. :cry:
Jasoco
Inner party member

Post by Jasoco »

I just got it onto GIT. I'm not going to try and put it somewhere else now. I'll live with this.
Robin
The Omniscient

Post by Robin »

Jasoco wrote:I just got it onto GIT. I'm not going to try and put it somewhere else now. I'll live with this.
Yeah, centralised VCSes like SVN are nothing but trouble anyway. And once you'll get the hang of Git, you'll not be able to live without it. ;)
Jasoco
Inner party member

Post by Jasoco »

How do I remove stuff from the repository? I replaced all the music with new stuff but it kept and merged all the new stuff with the old. The old stuff isn't needed anymore.
Robin
The Omniscient

Post by Robin »

Jasoco wrote:How do I remove stuff from the repository? I replaced all the music with new stuff but it kept and merged all the new stuff with the old. The old stuff isn't needed anymore.
As in, permanently? That's a bit complicated, because Git is mainly used for source code control, which means that 1) you usually never want to lose stuff 2) it doesn't matter to keep things around you don't need any more, because it doesn't take up a lot of space.

But it is possible. See the section “Removing Objects” in http://progit.org/book/ch9-7.html on how to do it.
nevon
Commander of the Circuloids

Post by nevon »

Doesn't git rm work?