Rigid Boy 2

Show off your games, demos and other (playable) creations.
Connorses
Citizen

Re: Rigid Boy 2

Post by Connorses »

Luke100000 wrote:OK, no easy-mode :awesome:
Well I mean it's up to you, if it doesn't affect your levels you may as well try it... :roll:

Any chance the editor will be included in the final product, with an export feature, for user-generated-content? That kind of thing is great for those of us who don't think the main campaign is frustratingly hard enough.
Luke100000
Party member

Post by Luke100000 »

Connorses wrote:
Luke100000 wrote:OK, no easy-mode :awesome:
Well I mean it's up to you, if it doesn't affect your levels you may as well try it... :roll:

Any chance the editor will be included in the final product, with an export feature, for user-generated-content? That kind of thing is great for those of us who don't think the main campaign is frustratingly hard enough.
That's my plan, but what do you mean with an export feature? You can save your worlds, load them and send them. (When you press the space bar while saving, the folder, where your worlds are, will be opened.
Luke100000
Party member

Post by Luke100000 »

I've updated the layout of this post.

In the moment I'm working on a faster drawing-system which works with sprites. It works fine, but now I want to boost up the rain-particel (and snow and so on) but because I can't delete sprites I don't know how I can do this on the best and fastest way. Please help. :awesome:
Luke100000
Party member

Post by Luke100000 »

Yeah version 1.1 is ready for download! Now I'm using sprite batches for super-fast drawing. The game should be much faster now. You can download it from IndieDB, in the moment you have to use the mediafire-link for downloading, because I can't upload my game directly to IndieDB. Now I'm finally working on more levels and blocks.

EDIT: Upload worked
Luke100000
Party member

Post by Luke100000 »

Update 1.2!
New worlds and a new world-selection-system.
I've also added a vulcano-background with a particle-system! (My first real usage for them :awesome: )
You can play all worlds without unlocking them, this isn't a bug (ok it's a small bug...) but so you can test my game better. :3
Jeeper
Party member

Post by Jeeper »

I have finally gotten around to playing Rigid boy and here is some feedback:

Presentation
I say finally because I have wanted/attempted to try it out a few times only to be put off by the presentation on the forum post. It is very confusing when you have so many different download links and name them Rigid boy 1.2 (and not Rigid boy 2 V1.2 or something similar), Rigid boy original etc. Hard to know which one is the latest version. The post is also quite long and contains a bit of a "wall of text". I think that this is a bit of a shame because I really think (more about this later) that the game is very good and that it would be more popular if you presented it better!

Oh and I would also suggest using something like Itch.io for downloading the game.

Gameplay
I would describe Rigid boy 2 as "Super meat boy meets rage platforming". The controls are good, the character moves like a muppet, a lot of its difficulty lies here. Often it is considered "bad" when a game gets its difficulty from its controls, but not in this case. The entire point of the game is that Rigid boy moves in a certain way, he will bounce of walls, he will not stop immediately, he is very bad at life and it is your job to make sure that he does not get murdered by the world all of the time. The levels are designed with this is mind, it is the core principle of the game, if Rigid boy controlled like Super meat boy there would be no game. The levels would not be fun and it would be a very uninteresting platformer.

Graphics and juice
The graphics are simple, but feel very polished. This is a combination of multiple small details that add juiciness to the game ranging from nice particle effects to smooth camera and parallaxing backgrounds. The world is detailed and and varying.

Overall
Very solid and a lot of fun, keep up the good work! :)
Last edited by Jeeper on Fri Feb 20, 2015 3:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
davisdude
Party member

Post by davisdude »

I like the game! Nice work!

Some comments:
- I feel like that since the rest of the game uses buttons, the menu should be button navigable as well.
- I feel like the back mountains move too much compared to the closer ones, especially vertically.
- I think that space should not be the kill command. Something less common, like "k" would be better.
- Arrow keys might be more suitable for this style game, since usually wasd involves the mouse and/or space bar. Maybe at least have arrow keys as an alternative?
- It looks like the character is facing backwards. I'm not sure if this was intentional (maybe that's why he's so bad at moving) or if it's just stylistic limitations (since if you moved the eyes over any more they would combine with his face).
- Spacebar to re-spawn and kill really messed with me.
- Maybe the break-away planks (above the spikes) should re-appear once you re-spawn?
- Have a "back to map" button instead of escape (once you've done all the levels in a world)
- the keys in the castle levels are really hard to see (maybe intentional?)

These are sort of nit-picky, but it's a great game!
GitHub | MLib - Math and shape intersections library | Walt - Animation library | Brady - Camera library with parallax scrolling | Vim-love-docs - Help files and syntax coloring for Vim
Luke100000
Party member

Post by Luke100000 »

Thanks for all that feedback!
It is very confusing when you have so many different download links and name them Rigid boy 1.2 (and not Rigid boy 2 V1.2 or something similar), Rigid boy original etc. Hard to know which one is the latest version.
Better now? ... :3
"wall of text" ... if you presented it better!
I don't know how. There is a description, a ToDo, feature-list and the controls + some screenshots.
Oh and I would also suggest using something like Itch.io for downloading the game.
Is it the same as IndieDB or is there something different? I will use it, thanks.
Often it is considered "bad" when a game gets its difficulty from its controls, but not in this case
YES! You are one of the few people who like my controls! :awesome:
Very solid and a lot of fun, keep up the good work! :)
Thanks you Jeeper, now I will work harder on this game!

I feel like that since the rest of the game uses buttons, the menu should be button navigable as well.
I don't understand that, sorry. There are three big buttons on the menu. Do you mean, that you have to hit ESC to quit?
Have a "back to map" button instead of escape (once you've done all the levels in a world)
Ok
I think that space should not be the kill command. Something less common, like "k" would be better.
Ok I will change it: space for respawning and another key for killing. The problem is because there are two players, which key the right player(arrow-keys) should get for dying?
Maybe the break-away planks (above the spikes) should re-appear once you re-spawn?
Erm... don't they? I will fix it.
Arrow keys might be more suitable for this style game, since usually wasd involves the mouse and/or space bar. Maybe at least have arrow keys as an alternative?
As I have said: there is a second player, but I will switch they controls, because you play the first player more often than the second one.
the keys in the castle levels are really hard to see (maybe intentional?)
Yes, this is a problem, but I'm not sure how I can fix it. In the moment I'm trying different ways (white background, ....)
These are sort of nit-picky, but it's a great game!
Thanks!
Jeeper
Party member

Post by Jeeper »

Itch Allows you to have:
* Text description.
* Customized background, text colors etc.
* A nice download.
* The abillity for people to pay for the game if they want.
* Screenshots and video

It is free, simple to set up and at the moment they take 0% cut of your earnings.
Luke100000
Party member

Post by Luke100000 »

Ok, I checked out Itch.io, I like it!

Only problem, my English isn't the best one and I can't fill Itch.io with screenshots like on this forum or IndieDB.
If anybody has the time he could write a description for me. He will be in the credits. :o:

Earning money could be a problem with the licenses of used sounds, and fonts ...