So, how's that Bump-based platformer coming along, Jasoco?

Showcase your libraries, tools and other projects that help your fellow love users.
Davidobot
Party member

Re: So, how's that Bump-based platformer coming along, Jasoc

Post by Davidobot »

PixelPiledriver wrote:Dopetastic.
Great video.
Will you eventually replace the sprites?
Looking for a pixel artist? ;)
Omg, were you the one to do the graphics for Dig'n'Rig?
PM me on here or elsewhere if you'd like to discuss porting your game to Nintendo Switch via mazette!
personal page and a raycaster
PixelPiledriver
Prole

Post by PixelPiledriver »

Omg, were you the one to do the graphics for Dig'n'Rig?
Indeed, I did the art and a bunch of code for Dig-N-Rig.
Good times. :D
Jasoco
Inner party member

Post by Jasoco »

PixelPiledriver wrote:Dopetastic.
Great video.
Will you eventually replace the sprites?
Looking for a pixel artist? ;)
Looks really good. I'll definitely keep you in mind if I ever get to the point I need official art.

As for now, I have made FIRE!

Doctory
Party member

Post by Doctory »

may i ask what do you use for lighting?
Jasoco
Inner party member

Post by Jasoco »

setBlendMode("subtractive")

I clear a canvas completely white and solid. Then I draw each light shape, also as solid white with transparency, onto the canvas using subtractive mode. Then I draw the canvas to the screen setting the color to black.

Eventually I might want to switch to a shader that can do shadowing with the platforms and the overhead lights.

I don't even know what I want to use the fire feature for. I just coded it to do it.
PixelPiledriver
Prole

Post by PixelPiledriver »

I'll definitely keep you in mind if I ever get to the point I need official art.
Cool. :)
I definitely understand the desire for a code first, art later approach.
Jasoco
Inner party member

Post by Jasoco »

Let's talk about Bump and grid optimization, shall we? In a tile based game each tile can be a solid or pass-through block. With a normal hand-crafted collision system you'd simply check the tile's solid entry at runtime. But since I'm using Bump, I guess you'd be expected to have a single box for each solid tile. But on a large level you'd end up with a lot of memory being used. (I tried it. A huge grid with thousands of solid tiles would have Bump creating so much garbage) So I wrote an algorithm to take my grid of solid tiles and optimize it and give me less Bump blocks by combining large groups of like tiles into larger blocks. Less blocks = less memory used by Bump = less garbage.

But for some tile types I need to have each block be a single Bump block. For instance; sand, destructable rock walls. So I create their Bump blocks individually. But then there's some other kinds of tile types that might need a different kind of Bump block created like conveyor belts which are created at level load as separate entities, or spikes that are only created in horizontal strips, or pass-through platforms that are also only created in strips. My optimization algorithm is really only used for normal solid non-destructible walls which normally make up the majority of a level as well as ice.

Here's an image with one of each kind of collision to illustrate:
Collisions.png
Collisions.png (327.84 KiB) Viewed 3900 times
Number of solid normal wall tiles above: ~130
Number of solid normal wall collision blocks: 29

You'll note the grey stone blocks and yellow sand have single blocks for each tile. The spikes have two collisions, one pass-through for harming and another solid one for standing on. The green passthrough platforms don't merge vertically. The ice is separate from the rest and is one entity while the dirt walls are optimized (As well as my algorithm currently does) for as little memory as possible to allow for bigger levels when needed. These collision blocks are created when a level is loaded. They are not stored in the map file. Generation is near-instantaneous. (On a huge level it might take a few seconds. I used this algorithm in, and created it originally for, my RPG map collision detection. On the overworld, which could be 256x256+ tiles in size it would take a second or two to create with a lot of solid chunks of collidable blocks.)

The idea of merging groups of solid blocks is not my own as I got the idea from another game creation utility that allowed you to make games in HTML5 and had JavaScript Box2D built-in and would perform the same type of algorithm for creating its maps and optimizing the Box2D collision elements. Although I never saw any of their code to do it, I had to come up with the algorithm on my own using my own methods. So it is probably not even the best way to do it. (They even use a performance graph in the same way I do. Of course I modeled mine after Minecraft, not Impact.)

Now I'll share some sort of pseudo but possibly working code you can try and play with and examine. It's really quite simple:

First create a table of tables of possible chunk sizes to check for...

Code: Select all

local boxSizeList = {
	{128,24}, {32,128}, {64,12}, {12,64}, {32,12}, {12,32}, {12,12}, {8,8}, {7,7}, {6,6}, {5,5}, {5,4}, {4,4}, {5,3}, {20,2}, {15,2}, {10,2}, {6,2}, {5,2},
	{4,5}, {4,2}, {4,3}, {4,2}, {3,10}, {3,4}, {3,3}, {2,4}, {1,32}, {32,1}, {30,1}, {20,1}, {1,20}, {7,1}, {6,1}, {5,1}, {4,1}, {2,3}, {1,4}, {3,1}, {1,3}, {2,2}, {2,1}, {1,2}, {1,1}
}
Of course that could be optimized or changed completely, but this was the easiest way I could do it. I can add more chunk sizes if needed and it wont matter much. Larger ones get created first while smaller ones are last with 1x1 being final.

Then you run through the list one at a time from largest to smallest, check the grid for a chunk of solid blocks all in the same shape, then mark them all (Using a temporary grid table the same size as the map specifically for marking) when the block is successfully created. Of course as you're checking a tile during that grid check, you skip the tile if it's already marked.

for a = 1, #boxSizeList do
	local bw, bh = boxSizeList[a][1], boxSizeList[a][2]
	local count = bw * bh
	for x = 0, #tempColMap-bw+1 do
		for y = 0, #tempColMap[1]-bh+1 do
			local _count = 0
			for bx = x, x + (bw-1) do
				for by = y, y + (bh-1) do
					if not markedGrid[bx][by] then
						if tempColMap[bx][by] == currentTileType then
							_count = _count + 1
						end
					end
				end
			end
			if _count == count then
				local n = "solidWall_" .. x+1 .. "_" .. y+1
				local wallType = currentTileType

-- Add the newly created collision box to a table that will later be used to generate the Bump collision blocks
				self.level.boxList[n] = { x = x * TILESIZE, y = y * TILESIZE, w = bw * TILESIZE, h = bh * TILESIZE, id = n, solid = true }

for bx = x, x + (bw-1) do
					for by = y, y + (bh-1) do
						markedGrid[bx][by] = true
					end
				end
			end
		end
	end
end
And what pops out is a list of collision boxes that make up the solid areas of the map. This algorithm is only for solid walls that will never change or be destroyed.

Now if you want to do the "horizontal mode" method I use for the pass-through platforms and spikes you'd add a little piece of code to the top above the first loop where you create a temporary list of checks that only includes entries that are 1 tile high. For example:

local altBoxSizeList = {}
for bsl = 1, #boxSizeList do
	if boxSizeList[bsl][2] == 1 then
		altBoxSizeList[#altBoxSizeList+1] = { boxSizeList[bsl][1], boxSizeList[bsl][2] }
	end
end
Then you run through the altBoxSizeList instead of the boxSizeList in that first loop.

For spikes you'd instead create two separate collision boxList entries. Or rather that's what I do. It all depends on how you want your game to actually work. You could just make them solid and have the player get hurt when standing on top of the spikes like in SMB2. I was going more for a Spelunky approach where you can be inside the spikes.

I hope you found this interesting and informative and fun. Maybe next time I'll talk about how I draw my tiles in the right order.
kikito
Inner party member

Post by kikito »

Man, I wish I had the source code to play around and test this myself. Just saying ... :nyu:
Jasoco wrote:A huge grid with thousands of solid tiles would have Bump creating so much garbage [...] Less blocks = less memory used by Bump = less garbage.
Are you sure it is bump who is allocating more, and that memory is not the tiles themselves? As far as I know, bump creates 1 single table with 5 elements for each new item inserted. This means that 25 1x1 items will take 25 more tables than 1 5x5 item - but they will be quite small. The memory invested in "keeping track of who is on each cell", will be the same (25, one per cell). My guess is that the tiles themselves will take much more, since they will have more like "image", "isSolid", and so on.

Also, have you tried increasing the world's cellSize to a multiple of the tile size? (so if your tiles are 64x64, try with cellSize 128, 192 or even more). Most of your items are static so you can probably put a lot of tiles in a single cell, so speed should not be impacted.
When I write def I mean function.
Jasoco
Inner party member

Post by Jasoco »

I did a bunch of tests with that huge world. Whether it was Bump or just a side effect, making a whole lot of entries for each tile just created so much garbage the collector was crying in pain. May not be Bump itself but it was the table I had to put all of Bumps objects in. Tens of thousands of table entries. Causing so much lag while the collector did its job. I had no choice but to create an optimizer. Now it runs like a dream. I blamed Bump at first because I didn't understand how it worked.
kikito
Inner party member

Post by kikito »

Ok. Nevertheless, try increasing the cell size - it might help too.
When I write def I mean function.