So, how's that Bump-based platformer coming along, Jasoco?

Showcase your libraries, tools and other projects that help your fellow love users.
Jasoco
Inner party member

So, how's that Bump-based platformer coming along, Jasoco?

Post by Jasoco »

You tell me.

Just some of the things you can currently do in my platformer so far. I'll use this thread for keeping it up to date when I add new things.

All illusion of video being synced to the music is purely coincidental. I'm just that good.

There is still a lot of work to do before I can release it as testable. Some things had to be removed to recode them. Other things just don't work yet. I have done my best to show what does work.

Some things to watch for:
Watch the ice when the camera moves
Watch and listen as the carousel spins
Watch it in 60FPS if you can
Just keep watching

You're welcome.
Foxcraft
Prole

Re: So, how's that Bump-based platformer coming along, Jasoc

Post by Foxcraft »

Awesome work, Jasoco. :awesome: Bravo!

Thanks for pointing out those bits to look out for. They were really worth paying attention to. The ice shimmer is a nice touch, and the timing with that platform wheel/carousel was just amazing.

I liked the water stuff, especially the bit with the little pocket of it. Pretty interesting.

It's definitely looking good. Thanks for the motivation. :D
kikito
Inner party member

Post by kikito »

This looks fantastic :)

A couple questions:
  • Will it be open source?
  • I see that all the videos that you have uploaded so far are "unlisted" in your youtube channel. Is it ok for me to share some of your videos in a tweet?
When I write def I mean function.
s-ol
Party member

Post by s-ol »

:o Definetely coming along nicely!

Seeing all the progress you're making on your (multiple?) WIP projects, I have to ask: is gamedev your dayjob or are you a hobbyist, working on becoming a full-time dev or something else?
I'm very sorry if this is a private topic to you, I'm trying to get a feel for the indie scene and you are probably the most active dev around.

s-ol.nu /blog  -  p.s-ol.be /st8.lua  -  g.s-ol.be /gtglg /curcur

Code: Select all

print( type(love) )
if false then
  baby:hurt(me)
end
Jasoco
Inner party member

Post by Jasoco »

kikito wrote:This looks fantastic :)

A couple questions:
  • Will it be open source?
  • I see that all the videos that you have uploaded so far are "unlisted" in your youtube channel. Is it ok for me to share some of your videos in a tweet?
When I get it to a point where I want people to be able to test it I will decide what to do. I have no problem with people looking at and utilizing my code. I'm sure there's nothing in there other people haven't done yet. If you ask me how I did something I will probably post my actual code in most cases if not rewrite it specifically for demonstration purposes.

And go ahead and share it. It's not really a game yet. So as long as people don't have any expectations of something coming of this yet I have no problem. I only post them as Unlisted so they don't just show up in my subscribers feeds yet. (My channel is mostly Spelunky LPs at this point.)
S0lll0s wrote::o Definetely coming along nicely!

Seeing all the progress you're making on your (multiple?) WIP projects, I have to ask: is gamedev your dayjob or are you a hobbyist, working on becoming a full-time dev or something else?
I'm very sorry if this is a private topic to you, I'm trying to get a feel for the indie scene and you are probably the most active dev around.
I work in a deli. And I really only work on one project at a time. When I start posting something new you can usually assume I have gotten bored of my previous one. I stopped working on my 3D engine to start working on an RPG engine only to end up actually recoding my 3D engine into the RPG engine. And I've put the 3D RPG on hold for now while I work on my 2D platformer. Remember that StarTropics clone I was working on a while ago? I relaunch that occasionally and am constantly impressed with how far I had taken it before I abandoned it. (I utilized my lighting method from that project for this one.) And when I move on from this project (Hopefully not for a long time as this is my real passion project and the one I've wanted to do forever, and could never do right until Bump came along.) I'll probably recode my 3D engine to make the Star Fox clone I've always wanted to do before possibly going back to my RPG or trying once again to do a Wolfenstein FPS.

Also, I just learned that you can add a quote to your current post in progress right from the review below on the post page. How did I not realize this until now?
s-ol
Party member

Post by s-ol »

Jasoco wrote:-snip-
S0lll0s wrote::o Definetely coming along nicely!

I work in a deli. And I really only work on one project at a time. When I start posting something new you can usually assume I have gotten bored of my previous one. I stopped working on my 3D engine to start working on an RPG engine only to end up actually recoding my 3D engine into the RPG engine. And I've put the 3D RPG on hold for now while I work on my 2D platformer. Remember that StarTropics clone I was working on a while ago? I relaunch that occasionally and am constantly impressed with how far I had taken it before I abandoned it. (I utilized my lighting method from that project for this one.) And when I move on from this project (Hopefully not for a long time as this is my real passion project and the one I've wanted to do forever, and could never do right until Bump came along.) I'll probably recode my 3D engine to make the Star Fox clone I've always wanted to do before possibly going back to my RPG or trying once again to do a Wolfenstein FPS.

Also, I just learned that you can add a quote to your current post in progress right from the review below on the post page. How did I not realize this until now?
Thanks :crazy: And a follow-up if you don't mind: Would you even like to do your dev full-time? Are you planning/hoping to release a full game sometime or are you content with just building "prototypes"?

s-ol.nu /blog  -  p.s-ol.be /st8.lua  -  g.s-ol.be /gtglg /curcur

Code: Select all

print( type(love) )
if false then
  baby:hurt(me)
end
kikito
Inner party member

Post by kikito »

Ok, shared.
Jasoco wrote:Also, I just learned that you can add a quote to your current post in progress right from the review below on the post page. How did I not realize this until now?
If you select part of the text from one of the posts "below", and click the "quote" button, only the selected text gets quoted. That's how I got the quote above.
When I write def I mean function.
szensk
Party member

Post by szensk »

There are many animated and moving things, it feels very alive. Looks very nice, Jasoco. Not unexpected as all the projects you've shown look nice.

The light flicker is painful for my eyes, though.
Jasoco
Inner party member

Post by Jasoco »

S0lll0s wrote:Thanks :crazy: And a follow-up if you don't mind: Would you even like to do your dev full-time? Are you planning/hoping to release a full game sometime or are you content with just building "prototypes"?
I figure if I keep building prototypes eventually something would stick. I don't plan on doing this full time. I don't have the attention span or programming knowledge to be able to keep myself stable. I see it more as a hobby. If I wanted to be a full-time dev (As much as I'd love to) I'd have gone to school for it and possibly gotten a job with a developer or joined an Indie somewhere. For now it's just for fun.
kikito wrote:If you select part of the text from one of the posts "below", and click the "quote" button, only the selected text gets quoted. That's how I got the quote above.
Interesting. Shame it ignores any smileys though.

Also, if you ever want to link to my threads or videos on Twitter, my user name there is @TheRealAbed. (I'd really like to change my username on this forum to that eventually too.)
szensk wrote:The light flicker is painful for my eyes, though.
Tell me more about this. I really only added the flicker for detail, but is it too much? Would it be better if it were less of a solid on off flicker but if it flickered between two closer brightness values?
PixelPiledriver
Prole

Post by PixelPiledriver »

Dopetastic.
Great video.
Will you eventually replace the sprites?
Looking for a pixel artist? ;)