What's everyone working on? (tigsource inspired)

General discussion about LÖVE, Lua, game development, puns, and unicorns.
rexjericho
Prole

Re: What's everyone working on? (tigsource inspired)

Post by rexjericho »

I'm working on turning some of my LOVE projects into videos to put into a programming portfolio. This one visualises Twitter hashtag usage over time. The size of the circles are proportional to the usage frequency of the hashtag. The data set in this video consists of 120 000 tweets collected over the course of 6 hours.

jvdm
Prole

Post by jvdm »

nice @rexjericho !!

I've dabbled with a fair amount of Processing, but I can totally see how LÖVE can fill this gap. :)
Muris
Party member

Post by Muris »

I started to port the game I started on libgdx into love2d and lua. I am almost at the same point for lua project now that I was with java. I shall see how well things work out. Using quickie for ui.
Screenshot 2015-01-11 17.29.51.png
Screenshot 2015-01-11 17.29.51.png (41.87 KiB) Viewed 5308 times
PixelPiledriver
Prole

Post by PixelPiledriver »

Yo!
I've been working on a pixel generator.
You can read more about it here.

There's some really cool looking stuff in this thread. :awesome:
Slowly digging thru it.
Germanunkol
Party member

Post by Germanunkol »

@ Muris: Nice! What attacks do the priests do? :P

@ PixelPiledriver: Neat. I especially like the "drop" animation that it starts off with. Awesome how you can make it look like a hologramm with just 3 colours... O.o

P.S.
Working on new sliders for Bandana:
trAInsported - Write AI to control your trains
Bandana (Dev blog) - Platformer featuring an awesome little ninja by Micha and me
GridCars - Our jam entry for LD31
Germanunkol.de
Roland_Yonaba
Inner party member

Post by Roland_Yonaba »

Jasoco, that's just cool.
PixelPileDriver, nice. I am sharing this on my Twitter.
Germanunkol, well, dunno what to say. You always impress me with your nice stuff. Keep it up.
clofresh
Citizen

Post by clofresh »

I've been working on a leopard survival game

Some cool stuff about it:

2.5D perspective. I was originally going for a sidescroller, but as I was implementing the hunting mechanic, it felt too rigid to only chase a gazelle in one dimension. It was pretty fun creating the perspective camera, though I’m pretty sure I’m doing it wrong. I think I’m supposed to create a homography matrix and just multiply the 3D coordinates by it but I didn’t really understand the maths so I just made it up.

Gazelle herding. Now that the gazelle can move in 2 dimensions, I can use the steering algorithms I initially implemented for the overview mode right in the action mode. It feels pretty convincing, but still needs some tweaking to avoid threats more proactively.

L-system trees. I planted the L-system trees in the 2.5D environment and they look pretty cool. Some of the tree types actually have a Z coordinate, so when you walk by them, they look 3D.

Spine animations. Loving Spine for 2d bone animations. I haven’t fleshed out the gazelle or hyena walk animations, but I’m excited for what they’ll look like when I do.

Hyena fight or flight. It’s not obvious from the video, but the hyena is actually make a conscious cost-benefit analysis on whether to fight you for the kill or not. If he’s hungry, he’ll fight. If he’s full, he’ll flee. There’s also parameters to tweak the decision based on the chances that you’re going to actually fight or you’re just bluffing and the chances that if you do get into a fight, that he’ll win, but they’re just hard-coded for now.

If you're interested in the code, you can download it from my blog post
----------------------------------------
Sluicer Games
georgeprosser
Citizen

Post by georgeprosser »

clofresh wrote:I've been working on a leopard survival game

Some cool stuff about it:

2.5D perspective. I was originally going for a sidescroller, but as I was implementing the hunting mechanic, it felt too rigid to only chase a gazelle in one dimension. It was pretty fun creating the perspective camera, though I’m pretty sure I’m doing it wrong. I think I’m supposed to create a homography matrix and just multiply the 3D coordinates by it but I didn’t really understand the maths so I just made it up.

Gazelle herding. Now that the gazelle can move in 2 dimensions, I can use the steering algorithms I initially implemented for the overview mode right in the action mode. It feels pretty convincing, but still needs some tweaking to avoid threats more proactively.

L-system trees. I planted the L-system trees in the 2.5D environment and they look pretty cool. Some of the tree types actually have a Z coordinate, so when you walk by them, they look 3D.

Spine animations. Loving Spine for 2d bone animations. I haven’t fleshed out the gazelle or hyena walk animations, but I’m excited for what they’ll look like when I do.

Hyena fight or flight. It’s not obvious from the video, but the hyena is actually make a conscious cost-benefit analysis on whether to fight you for the kill or not. If he’s hungry, he’ll fight. If he’s full, he’ll flee. There’s also parameters to tweak the decision based on the chances that you’re going to actually fight or you’re just bluffing and the chances that if you do get into a fight, that he’ll win, but they’re just hard-coded for now.

If you're interested in the code, you can download it from my blog post
This feels like a surrealist dreamscape. I think I like it?

(2.5D is great and I love your trees!)
josefnpat
Inner party member

Post by josefnpat »

20150124_165621.jpg
20150124_165621.jpg (78.16 KiB) Viewed 5003 times
20150124_170049.jpg
20150124_170049.jpg (85 KiB) Viewed 5003 times
Missing Sentinel Software | Twitter

FORCIBLY IGNORED.
<leafo> when in doubt delete all of your code
<bartbes> git rm -r *
<bartbes> git commit -m "Fixed all bugs"
<bartbes> git push