What's everyone working on? (tigsource inspired)

General discussion about LÖVE, Lua, game development, puns, and unicorns.
Jasoco
Inner party member

Re: What's everyone working on? (tigsource inspired)

Post by Jasoco »

A few hundred surprisingly. And since a shader has to do the whole screen and each texture has to be a separate shader and every sprite is also having a shader applied to it, it's impressively fast. Though the most lag happens on the world map since it's the largest and takes the most memory for point and polygon tables and therefore creates the most garbage. Smaller levels with closer cameras are much faster and lighter. And I use solid colors whenever possible like on the world map for the grass just to save on texturing. But before I had it texturing every grass tile and it was still just a bit under 60FPS.
Davidobot
Party member

Post by Davidobot »

Jasoco wrote:A few hundred surprisingly. And since a shader has to do the whole screen and each texture has to be a separate shader and every sprite is also having a shader applied to it, it's impressively fast. Though the most lag happens on the world map since it's the largest and takes the most memory for point and polygon tables and therefore creates the most garbage. Smaller levels with closer cameras are much faster and lighter. And I use solid colors whenever possible like on the world map for the grass just to save on texturing. But before I had it texturing every grass tile and it was still just a bit under 60FPS.
Impressive! Just wondering again, but, is there a tutorial of something of the sort regarding the creation and usage of a 3D camera, if not, could you give me a quick run-down?
PM me on here or elsewhere if you'd like to discuss porting your game to Nintendo Switch via mazette!
personal page and a raycaster
Positive07
Party member

Post by Positive07 »

Well we are in page 99, so I'll help to reach 100 by posting a project I'm working on.
It's called Cube and it's an app (not a game actually) that runs .love files. You may say "LÖVE does just that", well Cube does it different, this app let's you open a love file and run it however you please, you can modify how LÖVE behaves and which functions you expose without modifying the original .love file but modifying Cube instead , for example you could have a file made for LÖVE 0.8.0 and you could run it in Cube (that runs on 0.9.1) by adding compatibility library to Cube and leaving the .love file as it is without much problem.

Here is an screenshot on how it looks by now.
cube.png
cube.png (182.87 KiB) Viewed 2996 times
Currently it can:
  • Copy a .love file to its save directory
  • List all files in the Games folder (inside of the save directory)
  • Mount a LOVE file
  • Read the conf.lua
  • Modify the window mode as specified in the conf.lua
I still need to implement most of LÖVE functionalities and add compatibility for older versions of LÖVE.
If someone is interested in the project send me a PM and I may setup a repository for this
for i, person in ipairs(everybody) do
[tab]if not person.obey then person:setObey(true) end
end
love.system.openURL(github.com/pablomayobre)
Zilarrezko
Party member

Post by Zilarrezko »

^
|
|
|
| This sounds epic. One thing I don't like is when I open a .love and can't play it because it was from a year ago.

Though onto my topic. I'm making Dwarf Fortress... In space... The Adventure roguelike (<-- Did I do good Kikito?) mode. Except with some crappy graphics (crappics™)featuring ms paint, and crappy animations (crappimations™). The player will not be bound to the tiles like in dwarf fortress. I'll let everyone know how many days until I give up. Because I'm sure it is inevitable. Because it would take me the rest of my life to implement everything, just like Tarn Adams (bless his soul). It will feature the latest in state of the art unoptimized code, and most unread-ability you will ever see, at first glance from an advanced programmer, they'll be like "Woah, that's a serious encryption algorithm." But no, it's actually just the worst coding you've ever seen. Starting today, I will begin my procrastination endeavors, by not starting today. Expect a trailer probably never, as I most likely won't get that far. In fact, this paragraph is probably the most work I will ever put into it! HAZAH!
Doctory
Party member

Post by Doctory »

all hail page 100
Positive07
Party member

Post by Positive07 »

3/4 there...
end
master both
Party member

Post by master both »

Come on guys, let's get to 100!
Also, Positive07 I would love to see your "CaracolaMágica.love" (Magic Counch Shell) game.
Positive07
Party member

Post by Positive07 »

Hahahahahaha If you send me that awesome game of yours I send you that .love file :joker: , it's buggy and has weird answers (in spanish) some of them are rather obscene too :oops: ... You tell me ;)
end
Doctory
Party member

Post by Doctory »

are we there