What's everyone working on? (tigsource inspired)

General discussion about LÖVE, Lua, game development, puns, and unicorns.
undef
Party member

Re: What's everyone working on? (tigsource inspired)

Post by undef »

Oh my god Jasoco, your stuff is so beautiful!
Did you think about adding a shader, to make smooth day/night cycles (make the sky go red)?
twitter | steam | indieDB

Check out quadrant on Steam!
rmcode
Party member

Post by rmcode »

My current project is called bomb dodgers. It was inspired by "Wario Blast vs. Bomberman" for the gameboy.
screencap.gif
screencap.gif (5.81 MiB) Viewed 4897 times
I'm currently rewriting the AI (it's the first one I ever created). I'm implementing different personalities for the NPCs. One will constantly hunt the player, whereas others try to get as many upgrades as possible before attacking, etc.

I also added a shader which switches to different colour palettes on the fly.
Jasoco
Inner party member

Post by Jasoco »

undef wrote:Oh my god Jasoco, your stuff is so beautiful!
Did you think about adding a shader, to make smooth day/night cycles (make the sky go red)?
Way ahead of you. My texture shader already does that. It just needs the right color selection...

It needs tweaking. As long as the gradients have the right color values. I'd have to analyze real sunsets and sunrises to see when each color should be. But I think this works well enough for now. I have a set of 4 image files with colored gradients in them that I load into locals and use getPixel on to get their rgb or in the case of overall fog, the alpha value, and put that into a set of four tables. Sky color, Cloud color, Fog color and Fog intensity. The images are 512 pixels wide, though I could make them wider if I need to make a smoother gradient. And the day is divided into 512 pieces and the right table location is used depending on the time.

It looks even better in the overworld. But you only see the sky itself when in an airship. Still, that's what the darkness/fog intensity is for. It's always 0 for daytime and 0.5 or so at night. (Though I can make it so if it needs to be a foggy day, the intensity can be something like 0.2 during the day if it needs to be.

Edit: Also, tweaked the art style a little bit for the world to make it fit a little more..
Screen Shot 2014-09-12 at 1.12.44 AM.png
Screen Shot 2014-09-12 at 1.12.44 AM.png (236.72 KiB) Viewed 4867 times
I spend way too much time on the appearance of my prototyping.
kxait
Prole

Post by kxait »

I'm working on this:

Do you like the sprites? I just got to love and lua coding in general. I'm a complete begginer, I started this two days ago.
Do you like it?
Hey.
Roland_Yonaba
Inner party member

Post by Roland_Yonaba »

It looks really cute, I like it!
What is it going to be ? A platformer ?
Keep it up!
kxait
Prole

Post by kxait »

Roland_Yonaba wrote:It looks really cute, I like it!
What is it going to be ? A platformer ?
Keep it up!
Yes, it's going to be a platformer. I still need to tweak the walking animation a bit and figure out how to add maps.
Thank you!
Hey.
rmcode
Party member

Post by rmcode »

Since I'm a huge fan of Gource I started working on a git repository visualiser in LÖVE:

Needless to say that this was a very early test, just to make sure that reading the repo etc. works.
badfitz66
Prole

Post by badfitz66 »

I'm working on something that's not Love2D, making a 3D engine in Java with the lwjgl libraries with GLSL shaders.
What a wonderful caricature of intimacy
Jasoco
Inner party member

Post by Jasoco »

Screen Shot 2014-10-10 at 8.04.35 AM.png
Screen Shot 2014-10-10 at 8.04.35 AM.png (264.02 KiB) Viewed 4366 times
Been doing a lot of work on my RPGs engine. Tonight I added the ability to layer textures. (The green moss on the edges of the floor tiles is a separate layer per side. So some textures might have 2, 3 or 4 separate textures stacked on top of each other.)

I am very happy with my framerate on non-overworld maps. (And even then my overworld is running great right now too even with all the detail.) This is a sample dungeon test just to see how it renders. I really love the moss. Or grass. Or green stuff that grows around the edges of the walls.

You can't tell from this shrunken down screenshot, but this is actually being rendered at 4K and running in a HighDPI window on a Retina MBP. It looks amazing. I can also draw at 8K if I wanted to (4 x 1920, 4 x 1080) but I end up with a struggling GPU with an 8K canvas size. 4K looks great enough.

I really want to show more off. But I really want to put it all in a video and create a thread for it first. So I can only tease a little at a time. I haven't even shown off the GUI much yet.

Here's another shot of the overworld:
Screen Shot 2014-10-10 at 8.19.47 AM.png
Screen Shot 2014-10-10 at 8.19.47 AM.png (316.96 KiB) Viewed 4366 times
Notice that the camera angle and distance is different for each map depending on the layout. I blurred out the funny joke names I don't want to spoil yet.

I can do a lot with this engine coupled with tweening and timer libraries like Flux and Cron. I can't wait to show off my UI.
Davidobot
Party member

Post by Davidobot »

Jasoco wrote:-awesome post-
Holy hell, man! You're something else, in a good way!
Is that using a modified raycaster engine or a completely different 3D engine? (Especially for the overworld)
PM me on here or elsewhere if you'd like to discuss porting your game to Nintendo Switch via mazette!
personal page and a raycaster